Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That is looking great. I often have the feeling that Fujimi is a bit of a overlooked manufacturer. Everyone is looking at Hasegawa and Tamiya but Fuijimi has some very nice kits as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes they do! I think that their quality and detail was ahead of Tamiya or Hasegawa for many years back in the day
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I agree. These kits are over 30 years old and i think they still hold up well. And even with Special Hobby re-boxing the Academy G-2 as a D-5, which i know will be better detailed and more accurate in size than the Fujimi, i'll still be happy yo buy and build the Fujimi. Of course, i'll be getting the SH kits as well. One can never have enough Stuka's. :giggles:
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Very quick and tidy work on the Stuka! Desert colors should look nice!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks John.

I got the Stuka painted with the European scheme.

I started masking for the sand before i remembered to get some pics.

I then added the desert camo. Some profiles and the kit instructions have the sand right along the side. But photo's don't bear this out. My main referance, Classic Colours Luftwaffe Colours Stua Vol 2, has 3 decent pics of the left side along with a nice profile based on careful study of the photo's. This only shows RLM 79 in 2 patches under the canopy. These patches seem to match the areas where extra armour was fitted to the D-3. But many aircraft, includeing this one, don't have this armour. I am woundering if the ground crews may have removed it and patched it up with the 79. The kit instructions don't match what little can be seen of the top of the left wing. So i went with a combination of the photo's, instructions and guess work. There is no top down image of the tail, but there does seem to be any 79 there so i left that. The photo's do show the 79 is well worn on the wing. So i replicated that (first time doing weathering like this on an aircraft) by dry brushing the enamel paints and then useing 502 oil paint, there German Orchre is quite a close match. I'm quite pleased with how its looking. I also added the white tail band.

I left it for a couple of days to let the oils dry then polished some rough areas and i'll seal it tonight before adding the decals.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Pattern looks good Bish! Are you using Xtracolors for the camo paints?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looks great
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys. Carlos, ye, all Xtracolor.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I got the Stuka wrapped up this week. After some light weathering with Flory wash and exhaust staining it got the mat coat. I am very pleased with how the worn look to the sand paint came out. The instructions said to paint the spinner sand but of course it should be blue. And i used some AM decals for the wheel spats as the kit ones were white, and of course they should also be blue. The bomb load are Kora resin bombs. I was inspired by a photo of a banking D-5 on the Russian from from one of my books. It had this bomb load, SC250's with fuse extender's and the bombs were a mix of green and blue. I had to paint the white on the antenna mast as there are no decals for this.

[imagehttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51920253262_fc41b96a2a_c.jpg][/image]

[imagehttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51920253237_1043a4a6e4_c.jpg][/image]

[imagehttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51921316283_ca802a9b3d_c.jpg][/image]

And then onto its base with 4 figures and a Kubel.

Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Awesome work as always Bish!!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”