Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Brown 4

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Brown 4

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work on the tail wheel!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank guys!
Floki wrote:That really looks good John, what size tubing are you using and how are you cutting it?
I used a really thin brass tube for the axle (0.4mm) and 0.80mm (I believe) for the connection between the yoke and the strut. To cut brass tubing, I just roll it using the edge of an x-acto blade. The scoring is enough to cut the tube in a few back and forth motions. This also leads to small pieces of brass shooting off into the distance so I fold a piece of Post-IT into a "z" shape with the top of the "z" overhanging the cut end to prevent it from flying off.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Not really doing much on the Dora during the Tempest painting stage. Did some more fuselage thinning and washed the parts with a toothbrush and dish soap to get rid as much of the pastel wash as I could.

Despite the little niggling issues here and there, the Eagle Editions cockpit is nicely detailed and should look the part after painting. The instrument panel bevels are crisply cast and they will be populated with Airscale instrument decals since Eagle Editions does not supply any. You can glimpse the detail provided in the compartment behind the pilot seat. This area could be viewed if one were to pose the hatch on the starboard side open. I'm gonna leave it closed and not spend too much time painting back there.

I feel pretty good about the fit of the cockpit into the fuselage so once I start this build up again, I can work on assembling the cockpit components and painting.

Another preliminary check of the windshield and canopy fit... no issues here.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Good stuff!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Beautiful work!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Gotta love it when the canopy fits without issue.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

A very minor update on the Dora... I got the replacement tail wheel from Eagle Editions. You can see the difference in tire styles.

The photoetch foot pedals have been folded up and mounted. I cut off the very thin straps and replaced them with a little wider strip of thin brass sheeting.

The Eagle Edition resin set comes with a PE/resin replacement for the canopy crank wheel.

That's it for now!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Instead of gluing the tail assembly, as a whole, into the fuselage, I thought it would make for a better joint if the tail was attached to the fuselage while the fuselage is still separated. Fit was very good and no putty was required... just some sanding, re-scribing and riveting.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Sad to continue with the Dora build after the recent passing of Mr. Jerry Crandall, who was such a great authority on Luftwaffe aircraft and had a great love for the Dora in particular. I'm dedicating this build to his memory.

I started painting the instrument panel on the Dora. The body is RLM 66 Dark Grey and I've highlighted the bezels in black. Some of the instrument bezels were made of brownish bakelite and so I've painted the largest bezel in brown.

Each instrument will be populated individually using decals from Airscale. The trickiest thing about this operation is centering the small circular decals in the punch... kinda like peering down an anthole. I got this far when I noticed that I was missing some of the needed instruments and had to put in a Sprue Brothers order.

Looking at my instrument panel references, I noticed a discrepancy. The photo below is of the D-9 that belongs to the National Air and Space Museum. The largest instrument is the artificial horizon. To the right of that, appears to be the compass, with the variometer next to it.

The Vintage Eagle website has two vintage D-9 main panels which show the compass and variometer switched.

Which one is correct? Or were they interchangeable?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re a madman John… :bow:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”