ICM 1/48 MiG-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

ICM 1/48 MiG-3

Post by Stikpusher »

Another day, and another new project starts. This time it’s an ICM 1/48 MiG-3, the first combat aircraft of the MiG dynasty. I’m adding some Kits World 3-D decal seat harness belts and a Cutting Edge IP to this project, and will be making it in the markings of one of the top Soviet aces, Aleksandr Pokryskhin. Flying first the MiG-3 then later the P-39 Airacobra, he amassed more kills than any western Allied ace.

last night at IPMS, I started construction and built up the gem of the engine that this kit has

I still have a few more projects to wrap up before I go full bore into this one, but I’m really liking it so far.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Re: ICM 1/48 MiG-3

Post by Jeeves »

Nice! Built this one a few many years back...still my favorite box art of any plane I've built. Enjoy it!
Mike
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Neat project. Nice engine, too!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great looking airplane. Are you going to paint her white like the box art? Seems challenging but I'd really like to see that!
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Glad to hear that you guys like this subject choice! :wink:

Jeeves, I also think that the box art is pretty nice.

Lyle, the engine is a beauty indeed. ICM is pretty good about the engines that they include on many kits.

John, I’ll be doing this one in a 1941 summer scheme of green over light blue. Pretty mundane…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Very nice, Carlos! I don't know much about this aircraft outside of having built the Trumpeter 1/48 version but it is such a hotrod-looking aircraft. Looking forward to the next update!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. I’m not overly familiar with the type myself, but I agree that it is a very sharp looking design. I know that Trumpeter makes one in 1/32, if you ever feel so inclined… :whistle: :wink:

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The MiG-3 was a good high altitude interceptor, but the Germans didn't bring anything to that fight, it was a low and medium altitude war in the east. The IL-2 used the same engine and that sealed the MiG-3's fate.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup, although in the right hands, like the P-39, it could do well at low to medium altitude as well. The markings I’m doing for Pokryshkin is one of those guys. 59 kills in the Mig-3 and P-39.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice choice. I love WW2 Russian fighters.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”