1/48 Laird LC-DW Solution [1930 version]

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1/48 Laird LC-DW Solution in Doolittle Configuration.

Post by LyleW »

Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, I hadn't realized how much I missed seeing these comprehensive posts of your Bruce! I'm eagerly awaiting your next update!

Yes, but can he dance? The world wants ro know!

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, I hadn't realized how much I missed seeing these comprehensive posts…I'm eagerly awaiting your next update!
Mark! Your work is outstanding. I miss seeing your projects! I only wish you could slow down long enough to take more in progress photos. I need to visit you with my macro lens on my camera to take pictures of your models. I think we ought to organize that event soon, if we can manage it. I miss you too, bud.

Questions - I redrew this

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

But, in all seriousness, I do enjoy, respect and look forward to youe work, Bruce! A designer, artist and builder extraordinaire!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

LyleW wrote:Yes, but can he dance? The world wants ro know!

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
No, but I can learn. Cheers.
LyleW wrote:But, in all seriousness, I do enjoy, respect and look forward to youe work, Bruce! A designer, artist and builder extraordinaire!
Takes one to know one. I really do feel you and I share the same aesthetic affinities!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Bruce, here are some pictures of the Testors and Bandai kits.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

John,

Thank you so much for your reply. Some important and easy to spot differences between the two kits are of course the racing pylon present in the Testors version, whereas the Bandai kit features a moveable tail fin. Without seeing the kits in a side by side comparison I would not know that the landing gear wheels are different! What a difference having you here! Not only do you have an incredible “eye for accuracy” you have an incredible collection of models as well.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart to the top as the saying goes.

Based on your input, my planning goes as follows:

1. Remove the existing too short “interior nose section” and replace with the nose section from the Gee Bee Arc En Ciel versions; trim to actual scale size.

2. Plump up both sides of the fuselage if need be - not sure if I would concentrate only on the section behind the engine / in front of the pilot cabin.

3. Add IP, cockpit. I have a PJ Productions Pilot in my spares I could use as well!

IP

4. Adapt Gee Bee landing gear to fit.

Wasp Jr. is coming!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: Rebel Alpha… a good source on eBay! :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Welcome back Bruce! Hey... why did you delete your comment on my D-9 build???
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote::hmm: Rebel Alpha… a good source on eBay! :wink:
Yes. Scott runs a great store. I actually asked him to order the Pratt & Whitney from Armory. Also if you or anyone here reading this has an opinion whether Armory should offer prebuilt, detailed engines in addition to the assembly versions, let me know and I will let them know.
jkim wrote:Welcome back Bruce! Hey... why did you delete your comment on my D-9 build???
John! Apologies, my friend. I wanted to fact-check what I wrote about those two instrument panels. I was wrong - at least one was cut free by the pilot as a memento so that is as “real” as it gets. It was such an interesting question that I wanted to find the proper answer. I also need to spend more time reading both of your projects! Forgive me.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, I hadn't realized how much I missed seeing these comprehensive posts…I'm eagerly awaiting your next update!
Mark! Your work is outstanding. I miss seeing your projects! I only wish you could slow down long enough to take more in progress photos. I need to visit you with my macro lens on my camera to take pictures of your models. I think we ought to organize that event soon, if we can manage it. I miss you too, bud.
Thank you Bruce! Sometimes I feel like I take too many in progress pics and get confused as to why I took a certain pic once I have it edited, sized and saved. Not to mention the amount of pics I already edit for all the projects I do. Sometimes, for a difficult step or procedure I'll take extensive pics of my solution. As it is, my posts are very slow loading anyway so any more and they'll never get seen! :whistle:

I think it would be great but if you want to shoot my armor, it is still loaded in the transport tubs. I have no space in the hobby room to display them. If you ever come here to my place, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not certain when I will be setting them all up; mostly because it takes so long and I'd have to rent a truck to transport them all. Still, it would be great seeing you at a Hobby Day sometime. You could bring this Laird to work on while chatting with the rest of us modelers. We even meet every Monday night as well, sometimes starting as early as two PM.

Good plan of attack so far. I also like the instrument panel shot. Still, I have to wonder how the pilot sees forward... :hmm:

Nice to see the Wasp is on the way. Once I get some funds, I might just check out rebelalpha's e-bay shop.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”