Koster/Monogram XP-72

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Koster/Monogram XP-72

Post by LyleW »

Looks quite nice!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very well done! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Getting close on this one. If I was a real modeler I would spend a few more hours on the props, the resin parts were pretty rough by modern standards.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That it cool!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good! The side shot showing the profile reminds me of the Raiden with the elongated cowling.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The side shot looks "different" without the vent doors
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, all. Yes, it does look different without those doors that always complicate the insignia decals on the P-47's. But you do get those oil cooler/intercooler exit doors down below!

I painted the stainless areas around the cowl flap gills and installed some brass rod for the guns. The XP-72 was going to have only six 50's instead of the usual 8 and the inner one was located further back in the wing. Also, if it had gone into production it would probably had the same wing as the P-47N. The last photo shows it with the ProModeler P-47N. What a couple of brutes!

Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

Interesting project. Well done, John!

First I'd heard of the fiberglass trick too. Clever idea. Where does one procure small quantities of the proper thickness? And I understand that you just used CA to reinforce it, right?
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

What a difference between the two Thunderbolts. One is the Jug and the other looks like a race car aircraft - sleek and aerodynamic shaped. I wonder why they chose the 6 bladed propeller as opposed to the typical 4 blade prop of the P-47.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Tom, it's all about absorbing horsepower. There's an obvious limit to how large the diameter of a prop can be, and when designers reach that they have to add more area to the existing blades or add more blades. Conta-rotating blades are a way of doing that, and they also aid stability by eliminating torque and p-factor, at the cost of weight and complexity.

Greg, I use fiberglass cloth of various weights to make parts for R/C airplanes. Tap Plastics have it, and it used to be pretty available at R/C hobby shops. .6 ounce is pretty light for boat work but they might also carry it. Another product that might also work well and is newer is carbon veil, a very thin nondirectional weave of carbon fiber. It also adhers very well with CA.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”