Confederate States Air Force Mirage F.1

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Confederate States Air Force Mirage F.1

Post by Gary Brantley »

What if?  What if the Confederate States of America had survived the American Civil War?  What if the CSA had survived right up into the present?  Well, that's the premise behind this aircraft.  I created a scenario in which today's CSA co-exists with the USA here in the 21st Century.  For brevity's sake, I won't bore everyone with the whole story, but I envisioned CSAF squadrons that were named for Confederate war heroes.  I imagined four Maritime Air Stations; Norfolk, Charleston, Tampa and Biloxi, Miss.  These squadrons are named after famous cavalry commanders of the Civil War.  This CSAF Mirage F-1 is assigned to the Nathan B. Forrest Squadron based at Biloxi.  Their primary mission is anti-ship interdiction.  My "what if" Confederacy requires imported aircraft due to an aircraft industry that still hasn't reached maturity, nor any sort of parity with their neighbor, the United States. 

I guess I might flesh out my what if scenario a bit.  A negotiated cease-fire, and subsequent, somewhat uneasy peace, left the United States and the Confederacy sharing what had been the USA.  A continuing reliance on agriculture still retarded economic growth and manufacturing technology in the CSA.  Faced with a long coastline to defend, the Confederacy, with its new capital in Atlanta, turned wary eyes seaward and made maritime vigilance both a priority and a tradition.
Texas seceded from the Confederacy in the early 20th century over economic issues and concerns about the intrusive reach of the Confederate government.  I'm still working out how this event plays out geographically, with current possibilities including Texas "annexation" of Oklahoma and possibly a Republic of Texas reach for Pacific ports (and all that that might entail).

Confederate forces have been involved in several incidences in the recent past.  These would include clashes with Venezuela and Cuba in the Gulf and Caribbean as well as joint missions conducted with Republic of Texas forces against insurgents/narco-terrorists in Mexico.  The Maritime Air Stations share defense of the coast and other airbases throughout the interior of the South maintain bomber and interceptor squadrons.  The choice of the Mirage F-1 for the role shown here was based on economy, simplicity and of course availability.   France had been a supporter of the Confederacy from its beginning and provided various models for purchase by the CSA.  The United Kingdom is the other major aircraft supplier for Confederate needs, having sold Hawker Hunters to the South as their first high-performance jet fighter.

In these pictures, we see a CSAF Mirage F.1 at a small airfield in the Republic of Texas (yes, there's a "what if" story there too, lol.  At some point in the future we may see a Republic of Texas Vampire), making an unscheduled lay-over for some unspecified reason.

The kit is the Italeri Mirage F-1 in 1/48 scale.  The Exocet she's carrying came from the Monogram Mirage 2000, the rails and Sidewinders from an old Testor's F-18 and the drop tank from something long forgotten, and modified for its role here.  I guess I might mention an experiment of sorts.  I dipped the canopy in Future colored with MM teal acrylic to get a tinted look.  It worked alright here but the first test canopy from the scrap pile actually looked much better.  Oh well.  I learned a new trick, thanks Swanny!  The low-viz markings were created by me and drawn by my son on an Autocad program and I printed them on our home printer.  Primary colors are Humbrol enamels, Gull Gray and Lt. Ghost Gray.

What-if exercises can really free up one's creativity I've found.  Freed from the bounds of reality and real history, it's fun to imagine different outcomes to history.   I make no political statement with this build I assure you.  I don't defend the Confederate ideology or actions.   But for one or two different outcomes in battle or politics, the scenario of Southern survival might have been real history.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy my little exercise in alternate reality and thanks again for your interest.
Gary

Paul
Addicted Member

Re: Confederate States Air Force Mirage F.1

Post by Paul »

I have always admired your forced perspective photography, Gary.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Those are awesome photos and what a great What-if scenario. Heh... FSM moderators would have have a cow over this one if it was posted on their forums. :giggles: :giggles: :giggles: :ggun: :ggun: :ggun:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Paul wrote:I have always admired your forced perspective photography, Gary.
Thank you Paul!
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Those are awesome photos and what a great What-if scenario. Heh... FSM moderators would have have a cow over this one if it was posted on their forums.
Thank you Tom. It was posted there back in 2011. Have things changed that much since I was banned there? I wouldn't enjoy that place anymore. :wink: And most likely, they wouldn't enjoy me either. :lol:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gary... I was banned from FSM not once but twice! :rofl:
Time for me to make another “triumphant return” to FSM under another email account. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

A two-time winner you are! :lol: I wouldn't darken their door if they inexplicably paid me. :wink:
As Josey Wales said, "To hell with them fellers." :grin:
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Really interesting what-if concept. Beautiful aircraft and great photography
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice job. I like the Nathan B. Forrest squadron and the national insignia. Need a fleet of fan boats for the brown water navy :giggles:
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: Careful now… the NSA has seen this and may have labeled you a threat to national security… :giggles: or one of those other federal agencies who couldn’t find a criminal in San Quentin… :whistle:

Great to see this one again Gary! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Completed Builds”