1/48 Tamiya Me-262a1 "White 3"

Post your completed aircraft here.
mustang1989

1/48 Tamiya Me-262a1 "White 3"

Post by mustang1989 »

Been out of pocket for a couple of weeks. Some of you know but I lost a very good friend and it's been slow getting back to some state of normalcy. I know he'd want me to get back at it as he always liked to see my builds so ....here I am with a finish.

I've been wanting to build this aircraft for a very long time and have had two in my stash. I really wished I wouldn't have gotten rid of my Dragon Me-262A-1a Nachtjager version but this Tamiya A-1 kit was a good kit to build. I had set out to build Franz Stigler's plane from JV-44 late in the war. I read Adam Makos' book , A Higher Call several years ago and he was one of the main people that the story centered around. Long story short....he was going to shoot down a severely shot up B-17 and decided to lead them out of Germany instead. Afterwards he was assigned to JV-44 (pretty much Germany's last remaining fully operational air defense unit which was made up of the very best remaining fighter pilots) where he flew this aircraft. If you haven't read this book I won't give anything away but I'll just say that is a very powerful read.

There are a couple of schemes that could've been his bird but this is the one here that I went with as it just looks so dang cool....

I used Vallejo acrylics to replicate the paint and went with Eagle Cals for 95% of the markings and Peddinghaus for the #3 numerals on the side. Note.....never use the Peddinhaus offerings. Other than the #3 the stencils and other markings were just way out of scale. I had some trouble with the windscreen an may yet source another one and work it into the paint job so a cleaner fit can be achieved so that part is merely glued on my a tiny bit of clear parts cement. Looks like I might get another shot at a better fit for that part************************UPDATE********************************** Got the issue resolved by removing the windscreen and sanding the fuselage and windscreen joint. Made it ALOT better. Updated pictures now posted in this post.

After 6+ months...here is the completed build:

jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Me-262a1 "White 3"

Post by jkim »

Great looking 262, Joe! I think you captured the essence of Stigler's JV-44 aircraft and the finish really complements the beautiful lines of the 262. The final finish is just perfect... what did you use for your clear flat? I like the added details in the wheel wells, cockpit and gun bay too.

I know the story of the 109 pilot guiding a stricken B-17 across the English Channel but I didn't connect that famous story to this build! Very interesting background!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks John. I used MM Acrylic Flat Clear. I also managed to re-fit the windscreen. Popped right off and I did my handy work with sanding and pulled it off. I'll post some updated shots later. Glad I was able to do that as it was really bugging me to have spent all that time on this build only to have a crappy fitting part that stuck out like a sore thumb. lol
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Man, that's great! That is my all-time favorite aircraft and you've built a bangin' version of it! That's beautiful work on a beauty of an airplane. I note your use of MM Acrylic Flat Clear; that's also my clear flat of choice and my supply is getting mighty low. Thanks for sharing your model with us. :shoutout:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well done. Joe!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great finish Joe. I enjoyed following your build. Very nice indeed :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Very nice! Love the paint work and all the details. :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

:that: to all of the comments above

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Wonderful build Joe !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Gary Brantley wrote:Man, that's great! That is my all-time favorite aircraft and you've built a bangin' version of it! That's beautiful work on a beauty of an airplane. I note your use of MM Acrylic Flat Clear; that's also my clear flat of choice and my supply is getting mighty low. Thanks for sharing your model with us. :shoutout:
You guys mean this stuff???

This is my clear flat of choice at the moment, as well!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That's it. :grin:

Return to “Completed Builds”