Back in 1988, Monogram F-16A 1/48

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Back in 1988, Monogram F-16A 1/48

Post by Gary Brantley »

This was the third 1/48 model plane I built after returning to the hobby in 1988. I'm sure I bought it at our Winn's department store (nickel store) here in Cameron. I had to make a replacement pitot and tried to copy a photo I'd seen in those pre-internet days. It has an openable canopy and I forgot to get a pic of that at the airport. It's painted with Humbrol or ModelMaster enamel with the Paasche H.

I had never taken a single photo of this one and always considered it at best, a "place-holder" until I built something newer and hopefully better. I decided to rectify that and see what kinda pics she made in a proper setting. At the airport for the Tigercit pics,, I reached across the truck seat and snapped the pitot tube clean off. I did finally manage to glue it back together and on, it developed a severe droop, so please overlook that detraction.

Last edited by Gary Brantley on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Back in 1988, Monogram F-16A 1/48

Post by LyleW »

Nice looking build!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice Viper! How do you create the dark grey curve separate from the lighter grey? What’s your secret?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like a good entry back into the hobby. :hmm: The scary thing is that F-16As were in first line service when you built this in 1988! :shocked:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice job. Those old Monogram kits were great.
I do those sorts of soft edge camo's with Elmers orange tack.
Thanks,
John
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Beautiful build Gary !

:shoutout:

But where on earth have you kept this bird for all those 33 years? It really looks like it was just finished "yesterday" !
No dust, no broken gears, antennas or missing canopys!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Great build Gary. And still looking good after 33 years
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote:Nice looking build!
Thanks you Lyle!
BlackSheep214 wrote:Nice Viper! How do you create the dark grey curve separate from the lighter grey? What’s your secret?
Thanks Tom! I did that freehand with my airbrush. I think I remember drawing the curve line with a faint pencil line and then spraying up to and just over it. If I recall correctly, the biggest worry was trying to keep the curve symmetrical, and that I approached the process with a lot of trepidation! :wink:
Stikpusher wrote:Looks like a good entry back into the hobby. :hmm: The scary thing is that F-16As were in first line service when you built this in 1988! :shocked:
Thanks Carlos! There have been a lot of changes since 1988, eh what? This Fighting Falcon looks almost like a different aircraft compared to the latest versions of this airframe. Simpler and sleek she was back then. :grin:
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

keavdog wrote:Nice job. Those old Monogram kits were great.
I do those sorts of soft edge camo's with Elmers orange tack.
Thank you John! I've used your method as well, seen here on my Tamiya Wildcat:

And on that same build, I used cardstock masks to create the demarcation line. I curved then previously to fit the shape of the fuselage.

the resulting line:

KSaarni wrote:Beautiful build Gary !

:shoutout:

But where on earth have you kept this bird for all those 33 years? It really looks like it was just finished "yesterday" !
No dust, no broken gears, antennas or missing canopys!

- Kari
Thank you so much Kari! I guess she has held up pretty well over the years. It's remarkable tat I hadn't broken the pitot in all that time until, ironically, her "big day" before the camera. It has been in a display cabinet since late 1990, early '91.

See it on the upper left, top shelf?

tempestjohnny wrote:Great build Gary. And still looking good after 33 years
Many thanks Johnny! I wish I had changed as little as this model has since 1988! :wink: :lol:
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Indeed, quite ironic with the pitot tube!
And oh yes, I see it there... but I see a lot of other nice builds all over there as well ! :-D

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Completed Builds”