The Duke's Patton Group Build Patton and Tribute Build

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: The Duke's Patton Group Build Patton and Tribute Build

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well done, Mark! Not too often we see a Patton tank with a big ol’ spotlight. Awesome commemoration to your friends. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Well done, Mark! Not too often we see a Patton tank with a big ol’ spotlight. Awesome commemoration to your friends.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> :that:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I want to thank you all for the great replies here. I never got a notification so I didn't see these before this. nd no: it did not go to my spam folder; I checked.

Bruce, what can I say to such honorable, incredible and motivating words? Wow, you honor me more than I deserve. I do appreciate all you have said; I only wish I could show you this and all my other work in person.

Clint, Carlos and Torben, thank you guys. It's interesting that so many others on other Forums have said the same thing when I posted there. I do have to admit that while it was a fun diversion; it did feel a bit unnatural for me given my propensity for small scale. It doesn't fit in my consistent collection, but I did it for the memory of my lost friends and to help my SoCal AMPS club increase the size of their Patton display for the Nationals.In terms of square footage; that SoCal Patton collection will probably take up as much space as my small scale collection of 800+.

Speaking of my collection, that brings me to another reason I don't build in this scale: I can't even display my small scale collection due to lack of space; I'd never be able to display a collection of these big tanks and vehicles. As it is now; I'm actually trying to find a place to put this on my shelves...

Blacksheep, thanks! I think that big ol' spotlight looks awesome and since most Patton builds I've seen have had covers on theirs; I wanted to build mine with the cover off.

Kari thanks! I appreciate you stopping in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes Mark, even if you stuck with 1/72 for aircraft, a 1/35 vehicle collection takes up a good chunk of of display space. I can testify to that fact. Thankfully I now finally have room to display more builds than I’ve ever had before.

Once again, congrats and well done on your large scale Patton that pays tribute to lost friends. Yours will look fine amongst all the others!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Carlos. That means the world to me coming from you. I do hope to see you in Vegas if possible to show it to you in person. While it's not up to the same standards as a Wechsler or Frye; I am very thrilled with this model.

I sure wish I had the space to display more. I miss being able to look at my whole armor collection sitting out on tables or shelves.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I would love to go to the Nats this year, but we have some things going on with the new house at that time, so it’s not gonna happen. You may not have the same caliber of builds as the two Jims, but I think you can hang quite well with Shawn Falleson and his company of Pattons.
As far as your display space goes, your kind of tapped out for anyplace to put more shelving in your hobby room, aren’t you?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Most definitely Carlos. My shelves are already spaced about eight inches apart and stretch the length of both solid walls. I started the lowest one about 2.5 feet from the floor and they go all the way to a foot from the ceiling. The only exception is the space where my work desk is.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Granted, these were taken long before I packed my armor to bring down for pics.

In this pic, the ceiling is just above the boxes in the top of this pic:

That was the east wall of the hobby room. On the west wall, we have this:

That is the space between the door of the room to my workbench, seen in the bottom left of the pic.

This is the remaining part of the west wall showing all the shelves above my workbench; the top of which can be seen at the bottom:

Now, the places where you see armor is now filled with additional finished aircraft; some of which I need to find space to hang from my ceiling. The armor now resides in tubs as seen here; it's the only way I can keep them now:

In the back right side you can see my disorganized closet that I can barely get to.

And now you know why I cannot find any room! :whiteflag: By the way, that room is holding 1568 completed models... :bag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, I vaguely recall seeing these or similar photos of your hobby room. Crowded indeed. You outnumber my current completed builds by about a 5 to 1 ratio. Of course if I had kept all of the ones that I’ve disposed of, that would probably be closer to a 2 to 1 ratio… :hmm:
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do in this hobby!

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Mark, I’m speechless !

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

What a full packed collection you have!
And so many ships as well!

- Kari
---
On the bench: