1/35th Dragon Sd.Kfz. 234/1

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Floki
Elite Member

1/35th Dragon Sd.Kfz. 234/1

Post by Floki »

Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234 was a family of armored cars resembling the appearance of the Sd.Kfz. 231 8-Rad.
Armoured wheeled vehicles were developed early in Germany after the end of World War I, since they were not subject to the restrictions of the Versailles Treaty. The Sd.Kfz. 234 belonged to the ARK series of chassis and was the successor to the earlier Sd.Kfz. 231/232/233 8-Rad, which belonged to the GS chassis series.
The combat experience of fast-moving, hard-hitting wheeled reconnaissance vehicles during the Wehrmacht's early invasions of Poland and France impressed German military officials, but indicated some deficiencies in existing designs. A new armored car project was thus undertaken in August 1940. The Sd.Kfz. 234 was designed later that year, It was to have a single chassis with eight wheels, and an air-cooled engine for use in North Afrika.
Chassis were built by Büssing-NAG in Leipzig-Wahren, while armored bodies were provided by Deutsche Edelstahlwerke of Krefeld and turrets by Daimler Benz in Berlin-Marienfelde and Schichau of Elbing, with engines from Ringhoffer-Tatra-Werke AG of Nesselsdorf.
The first trials with the prototype started around July of 1942. Due to problems with the excessive noise of the first engine, a second model was developed, the Tatra 103. The vehicle had eight-wheel steering and was able to quickly change direction thanks to a second, rear-facing, driver's seat.Tthe transmission had six forward and reverse gears, with traction over the eight wheels. Power was provided by an air-cooled Tatra 103 diesel engine. The Sd.Kfz. 234 was the first and only German armored vehicle to use an air cooled diesel engine. This was originally intended as a temporary solution until the engine could be redesigned to function better in harsher tropical climates, however, the war in North Afrika was over and thus the Tatra 103 was used until the end of production.
With the war in North Afrika over it nevertheless proved useful on the Eastern and Western Fronts. The Sd.Kfz. 234 was commonly used in pairs, one equipped with a long-range radio communications kit while the other possessed only a short-range radio. The long-range unit was identifiable by the large star antenna on the left side of the vehicle.

I had to start on something plastic since I've been working on my wooden longship. So much sanding to do on it, I've taken it to work with me and plan to work on all the sanding during my breaks since it's a messy job.

Started by removing and cleaning up the parts for the chassis and suspension.

You can make the steering workable by cutting the tabs of part B4 off

Then part D18 and D19 can move once trapped by the suspension.

Also will have to modify the linkage parts, I'll show that when I get to it. Once I have the wheels in the position I want I will glue them in place.

Here is the first 3 steps completed a total of 63 pieces the instructions are typical of Dragon and really have to study them to see where everything fits.

Thanks for looking in
SKOL!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Re: 1/35th Dragon Sd.Kfz. 234/1

Post by Stikpusher »

This will be good! The “acht rads” live on into our times in the German “Luchs” and “Boxers”, Soviet BTR-60/70/80 series, and US LAV and Strykers. Not a bad legacy.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good so far. I like this. Eight wheeled vehicles can be fun to do.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Carlos and Mark thank you for joining! Mark you just picked up several BTR's didn't you?
Odin's sons... Attack!
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Will be following. I still have to add some of the Dragon 234's to the stash which is very short of wheeled vehicles.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Bish. Me too my only other wheeled vehicles is a AFV club 231 and a Dragon LRDG jeep
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

This looks like it'll be a very interesting build Floki - great progress thus far!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Floki wrote:Carlos and Mark thank you for joining! Mark you just picked up several BTR's didn't you?
Yes I did: The BTR-70 early and late versions. I expect to be starting them at the same time. Just let me know when to start....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Got the suspension finished again a small tab on one of the linkage parts needs cut off so you can position the wheels.
Also started on the interior, this is about as far as I'm going to take the interior at the moment until I get some paint down.
Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice details and work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”