Takom 1/35th Chieftain Mk 11

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Bish
Master Member

Re: Takom 1/35th Chieftain Mk 11

Post by Bish »

Some more progress to report on the Chieftain, i was slowed down some what by the paint. But before that i had to wrap up the turret with the addition of the TOGs. I painted the inside black before putting it all together, the clear part on the front has ha the lense covered with liquid mask.

Than the painting. I decided to use MiG paints as that is the recomended colour by Takom and i didn't want to try and find a match for the sand colour. For the green, i usually use Tamiya NATO Green mixed with some field grey, so i ordered MiG's field grey set thinking i could use it on my figures. But the field grey in the set was very light, so i used the field grey shading which was more like the Tamiya field grey. Not sure if MiG just got it wrong or they are meant for a more artistic style of painting.

One think about the MiG paints, they don't like a cold damp English winter. 24 hours after painting the green it was still as wet as it had been when applied. I had to bring it inside in the warm to dry. After that i free handed the sand and after some touching up, this is what i have.

There still some rough edges here and there. I am not a fan of the paint, it seems similar to vallejo model air, which i don't like eitehr. I won't be getting them again. I think the sand used on the BATUS fleet, which is also used on the Warminster based Demo battalion vehicles, is the same as that used on desert vehicles prior to Op Telic, so if i need to do another of tehse schemes i can use the Gulf War colours. I also maske and added the white V for the arc marker.

Then the decals, not keen on these either. They damage easily and are very matt looking. But they did conform well enough and there's not many of them.

And the tracks where put together, and here's another issue. There are 200 links and the instructions say to use 97 on each side. I put one track together forming it around the idler and sproket and over the top rollers adding slight sga. But when i out the send run together i was one link short. On counting the second lot it had 100 links, so the first must have 100 as well, but has not come up short.. Not sure what i have done wrong to use the extra links and still have a gap, the sag doesn't look to much. But at least the gap is behind the side skirts, unless i can force it together.

Next up some weathering and hoping for no more problems.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Been ploughing through with the Chieftain to get it done. I did some oil dot filters followed by AK Streaking grimes.

After a flat coat, wet pigments were applied and the excess dusted off. Once everything was together, it then got a light dusting of dry pigments. I managed to solve my track problem when i remembered i have the Takom marksman in the stash. I raided the tracks from then and took one to fill the gap and 2 more for spares on the rear. I had bought the Master metal tracks to use on this kit but decided to try out the kit ones. I'll just use the metal ones on the Marksman.

So here is my BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield) based Chieftain Mk 11.

I do plan to come back to this and add some stowage, but i am not sure what would be right for it given the time. There are a few ex Chieftain crewman on Britmodller, so i plan on checking with them.

Thanks for looking.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is outstanding work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

That's Martin a bloody well done piece of a Chieftain !

Excellent paintwork and weathering! The base looks also very good!

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking very sharp Bish! I can’t believe how quick you knocked this one out. And with a base as well. Great job!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys.

Its not an over complicated kit and not needed much AM helps it go togethyer faster. I am likeing these Takom kits.
Cherrylock
Addicted Member

Post by Cherrylock »

it looks so great on the display :shoutout:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man that looks GREAT Martin!!! You really are good at armor modeling.

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”