AFV Club 1/35th M109A2 Op Granby

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Bish
Master Member

Re: AFV Club 1/35th M109A2 Op Granby

Post by Bish »

I now have the hull finished to the paint stage. I have not used all of the PE for it as some is for inside hatches i have closed and other parts are IMHO best left off as the kit parts are more realistic. I am not a big fan of voyager sets and now i only buy them where i just want a somthing to add and no one else does anything for that kit and the spares box doesn't have it (mainly anything that isn't German). So this is the hull now.

And have now started on the turret. Same again here for the PE, picking carefully what parts i use and which i don't. The barrel is from the kit.

Work on the turret continues.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks good Bish. I overlooked earlier that you picked up a PE set super detail this project. I’m looking forward to the next update on this one.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks Carlos. I got the PE mainly for the tools clamps, track guards and trhings like that. I'm checking pics carefully to see if i ned to replace parts and also to confirm the british vehicles carried those. I need to change a few things such as the antena bases and jerrycans bt most of it seems as the US vehicle.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bish wrote:Thanks Duke. What kit is that one.
Mine is the Riich Models kit, same as my -A6. I will be looking for another -A2 to make British.

Nice job on that hull, and the turret is coming along well. Looking great!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I had not realised Riich did armour in that scale.

Thanks, its coming along now.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, they have the M1091A2 the M109-A6 and the ammunition carrier that goes with them. So far that's all the 1/72 scale kits they have. They are very well detailed too.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Ye, saw those kits when i looked them up. Hopefully they will do more subjects in that scale.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Amen to that! I certainly hope so too!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Bit of a long update. I got the turrety finished a couple of weks ago. Plenty of PE here. But i again i didn't use everything. The PE set included hinges and the locking mechanisim for the ammo locker door, but i felt the kit parts were much better. After i took the pics, i realised i had put the 4 rear bins on wrong, so they were then removed and fitted the right way.

I took a Clansman antenna mount from the spares box, this is a resin Accurate Armour piece that came with my Warrior conversion set.

Then i was ready for primer and paint. Nice easy scheme, over all desert sand, i used the Xtracolor gulf War sand, although this colour has been is use for British desert vehicles for a long time.

Followed by the decals. The decal instructions don't have an image of the rear for this vehicle, so i added the rear chevron based on the others on the sheet.

I also got the Fruil tracks together. I found these a real pain, every link had to be drilled out both front and rear. They also have different links for where the track goes round the drive sprocket and rear idler so it not just a case of sticking them all together.

After a couple of coats of Aqua gloss, tine for some weathering. I gave it a light dry brush, a panel line wash, light dot filtering and finally some steaking useing AK's DAK streaking grime.

Next up, i will be painting and adding tools and various stowage before some final dust effects.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great Bish. Lots of fiddley bits for sure!
Thanks,
John

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”