Pz.Kpfw .II Ausf. F, Pz. Rgt. 25, 7 Pz. Div., 1940-41.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
speedgraflex

Re: Pz.Kpfw .II Ausf. F, Pz. Rgt. 25, 7 Pz. Div., 1940-41.

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ahhhhhhh...another armor guy! What’s next? Cars? Is it done yet? Watching this one.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:Image
One learns every day new things, I have never paid attention to, that the turret is so off-set on the hull.
Here we see, if I would have had this kit, I would have known this.. :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Just a damaged fender

I used a tool my father built similar to an awl heated to create the ripples; the black coloration is an India ink blue black mixture I use to spot check finishes.

I plan to remove the axe and bolted on sections of diagonal cross treading in the sections outlined in red;

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh you’re doing a battle damaged Panzer Kampfwagen? I was under the impression this was going to be a simple build for you. A deflection shot on the fender probably would have rendered it useless. I don’t know but I could be wrong. I can see maybe doing a rear bent fender on one side but a rippled damaged fender might be a bit of an overkill. Not trying to be critical of your process of the build. But heck, it’ll be great to see this one as a simple build without over-complicating everything else. I guess I’m trying to say is keep it simple and fun.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Tom,

Nice to hear from you. Apologies for confusion. Battle may not be the word. Maybe it’s simply hitting those fenders on trees. Actually, my best guess is that when the drive wheels are repaired with the fenders in place, such as during field repairs, this type of damage is most likely to occur. At any rate there is damage indicated in the profile on that fender; I am adding the detail. Fender damage seems to be pretty common, I like making things happen organically - and at least to give the appearance of a working machine.

Here you can see the damaged fender.

I have only built one kit outta the box. I keep telling myself each build is going to be like that. The day I do it again you’ll be the first to know.

I already smoothed off the fender texture, shaved off the axe (maybe that should be a shovel?) and removed the antenna mast. I’ll add or create these details later.

As always, I am very grateful for your comments.

Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Lookin' good so far Bruce. Looks like I've missed quite a bit on this one but will be in here scoping it out now. :grin:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well now that you've cleared that up to tree damage from battle damage. :giggles:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mustang1989 wrote:Lookin' good so far Bruce. Looks like I've missed quite a bit on this one but will be in here scoping it out now. :grin:
Thanks for your kind words, Joe. I am afraid I ground myself into a corner here with the removal of the diamond shaped treading; live and learn, it needs to be there. Too much squinting at old photographs. Good news is these kits are cheap as chips and readily available, so I ordered a replacement deck part; I discarded the colorization from this variant photo taken in North Africa. Have a look:

You can clearly see the anti slip diamond shaped sections of the fenders to the right of the seated fella. Removing that was a mistake. Another view of the fenders:

PS: I neglected to turn on notifications for this project until now, but now that I have I will be able respond far more quickly.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm... perhaps try using metal screens for screen doors?

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”