Team Yankee (mid 80's US and Russkie Army)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stuart
Elite Member

Team Yankee (mid 80's US and Russkie Army)

Post by Stuart »

Hi Gents,

If you don't mind - I'm going to start a thread on this as both Carlos and Mark have given me some great advice and I didn't want to loose it in the 'new acquisitions' thread!

Thanks Gents for some great info!

Stuart wrote:The Trumpeter 1/72 kit - sorry, I mean M1A1...
I'd like to build some of the equipment mentioned in 'Team Yankee' which I'm re-reading at the moment - so M113, M901, M3, MUTT etc. I'd also like to do some modified M113's like the CP track and the one used for the FIST. I'm doing it in 1/72 as I've also got/getting a OH-58D and a AH-1S. It'd be pretty cool to do a T-72 and a Hind D as well...

You know how I like my 'Themes' :-D
Stikpusher wrote:I hear ya. I love that novel. I couldn’t put it down the first time that I read it. Team Yankee had basic M1’s, or IPM1’s, the 105mm gun type, so I’d say to look for one of those. When the novel is set in 1985 was before the FIST-V came into line service, so a basic M113 will do. And the command APC is a M577, with the raised rear area. Mark/Duke Maddog can better advise you on what kits for this are available in 1/72.
If you liked Team Yankee, and have not yet read Red Storm Rising, I highly suggest that you read that one…
Duke Maddog wrote: I also love that novel; thoroughly enjoyed that. Red Storm Rising was another one. Brilliant!

Stuart, these are the possibilities you have for completing the Team Yankee themed model collection.

You picked a good M-1 Abrams, the other possibility is an old ESCI kit; released by Italeri as well. That Matchbox is perfect though. Italeri also releases the original ESCI M-113. Trumpeter also has an M-113, but be sure that you don't get any of the -A1, -A2 or -A3 versions. Italeri has the old ESCI M-901 still available. Any M-113 can be made into an M-113 AMEV with the addition of Red Cross decals.

So far, nobody as done a 1/72 scale M88 in plastic. There is a 1/76 scale Cromwell Models resin kit of this vehicle; but I don't know it's availability anymore..

The M-3 Bradley scout vehicle is available from Dragon in 1/72 scale.

The M-577 command vehicle has never been kitted in 1/72 scale plastic either. You'll have to do an extensive modification of the standard M-113 vehicle. Go to Dan Taylor's Modelworks, as he has some aftermarket parts that will help with that.

On the Russian side of things, Modelcollect makes a 1/72 scale T-72 that is excellent. They have multiple variants so you'll need one dated circa 1970-1980 without reactive armor. There is also a few T-62's encountered if you want to model one of them; Trumpeter makes the best one of them. BMP 1's will be an issue; as the only company that makes them in 1/72 scale is ACE. While they do build up into very nice models; they are short run technology and so will be difficult to build; requiring extensive test fitting and adjusting of parts. As of this date, no Shilkas have been kitted yet in 1/72 scale, although Armory announced one for release.

Let me know if you want to see pics of any of these built up as I have everything completed except for the M-88 and Shilka.

Hope this helps.

Stikpusher wrote:I hear ya. I love that novel. I couldn’t put it down the first time that I read it. Team Yankee had basic M1’s, or IPM1’s, the 105mm gun type, so I’d say to look for one of those. When the novel is set in 1985 was before the FIST-V came into line service, so a basic M113 will do. And the command APC is a M577, with the raised rear area. Mark/Duke Maddog can better advise you on what kits for this are available in 1/72.
Stuart wrote: Thanks for the info Carlos, bit of a bugger that I'd ordered the wrong kit, I thought the A1 had a 105mm, but never mind - I've got this coming. It's supposed to be a fair kit of an early model.
What scheme do you'd they'd have been in - MERDC or all over Forest green?

I found this site which looks good :hmm:

https://www.team-yankee.com/Default.asp ... rt_id=5110
Stikpusher wrote: Stuart, at that time nearly all Abrams were in overall Forest Green FS 34079. Only a handful of very early production or development tanks stateside were in MERDC camo. The NATO camo appeared with the M1A1s, or when the early production M1s were sent back for overhaul after being replaced by M1A1s.
Last edited by Stuart on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Team Yankee (mid 80's US and Russkie Army)

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:

I love that era… the music was better, the women were HOT, and the world stood on the edge of true and total annihilation in an instant. There was stability and utter madness awaited if either side got too stupid.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Agreed! I miss those days.

Stuart, if you wish, I could post some pics of my finished models for you to see here. That way you can see them and how they look.

Brilliant idea starting this Thread; I'm going to enjoy watching this one!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote:
The M-577 command vehicle has never been kitted in 1/72 scale plastic either. You'll have to do an extensive modification of the standard M-113 vehicle. Go to Dan Taylor's Modelworks, as he has some aftermarket parts that will help with that.
Hi Mark - S&S models make one, although I suspect it's aimed at wargaming...

https://sandsmodels.com/product/m577-command/

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Duke Maddog wrote:Stuart, if you wish, I could post some pics of my finished models for you to see here. That way you can see them and how they look.
That would be awesome Mark - thanks!
Duke Maddog wrote:Agreed! I miss those days.
Stikpusher wrote::popcorn:

I love that era… the music was better, the women were HOT, and the world stood on the edge of true and total annihilation in an instant. There was stability and utter madness awaited if either side got too stupid.
Oh I agree, I do look back on that period with a lot of nostalgia, the music was damn good, and the world, even on the edge of nuclear devastation, seemed a safer place - hell at least we knew who our enemies were! Growing up as a kid in the midst of it, I was always fascinated by the Russian 'bear' & I have to say I always fancied going to Russia. I was jealous as hell when my dad went to Moscow in 1992 on a work trip.
Stikpusher wrote:...the women were HOT...
:hmm: Okay so this thread has taken a turn - you'll have to furnish me with some examples, as I do remember some rather dodgy fashion choices in the 80's :bag: ... I know my future wife looked hot in the 80s, thankfully she still does :wub:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Hi Mark - S&S models make one, although I suspect it's aimed at wargaming...

https://sandsmodels.com/product/m577-command/
And an M88...

https://sandsmodels.com/product/m88a1-arv/

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Soooooo.....

I'm thinking I'd like to start with the following.

M1 Abrams
M113
M3 Bradly
M901 ITV
Kiowa Scout
AH-1S Cobra
T-72
BMP or some kind of BTR
Mil-24D

:hmm: Any idea what type of M113? I'm assuming an M113A1 as they were around in Vietnam, or would it be an M2 or later?

I'm starting the Kiowa build here: http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewtop ... 114&t=5720

And I might as well crack on with the rest here..? :hmm:

Here's the first build, Matchbox's (well Revell's) old 1/72 M-1 Abrams.

It doesn't look a bad kit for it's age.

And I've assembled the lower hull. The fit was a bit loose so I actually used some old skool tube glue.

These are the first few steps - I was actually thinking of painting the tracks and wheels (and sides) before I add the upper hull and side plates - does that sound a good idea? Or would you assemble everything and then paint?

I need to find a pot of Forest Green... :hmm:

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Humbrol 116 is the Forest Green you need.

For the M113, the A2 was the main service variant at that time. The only external visual differences with an A1 are minimal- the configuration of the exhaust stack, shorter with a top flap and brush guard, and a second set of shock absorbers behind the #2 road wheels. 113’s and A1’s supposedly only had shocks at the #1 and #5 road wheels.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info Carlos - so I'll need one of these then, without the red crosses.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That kit would work perfect. Just leave off the Red Cross markings and the external fuel cells on the rear, if they can be left off as an option. Those didn’t really show up until the 90’s.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”