Elvis Tank, Dragon M48A1

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Elvis Tank, Dragon M48A1

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. This method of assembly first, then paint everything afterwards does speed up the process a bit. I presume that you are asking what the tracks are made from? In this case it’s that soft “DS Plastic” which is a soft, flexible, and glueable plastic. I’ve heard good and bad things about the stuff, but really don’t have any personal experience with it. I just knew that I wanted to get it primed to hopefully head off the self destruct process I tend to experience with the soft plastic glueable tracks from companies like Tamiya and AFV Club.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Stik, so they're effectively rubber-band tracks rather than the 'link-n-length' tracks you get in some kits - that's cool, I've heard a lot of amour modellers don't like them, but I've always thought they were passable.

Just a question on the history of the King's tank - so was he actually a tanker in the Army (if so when) or this a tank from GI Blues, or both?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, basically the DS tracks are Dragon’s version of rubber band tracks. The detail on them is pretty nice. I’m just hoping that they don’t self destruct like their AFV Club and Tamiya equivalents. If they don’t, I’m sold on them.

Elvis was drafted into the Army in the late 50’s and was assigned to tank units, first stateside, then in Germany. I don’t believe that he was trained as a tanker, but was trained as a jeep driver. Although the Army did take publicity photos of him in and on tanks during his service time. The tank that I’m building here is from GI Blues. Although that tank is marked from a different company in his actual unit, 32nd Armor, 3rd Armored Division. The tank is from B Co. and I believe that Elvis was in D Co. for his tour of duty there.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah okay, that makes sense now, thanks Carlos!

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Carlos, I'm curious about the self-destructing tracks. So far, that's the only sort I have any experience with ,and I'm wondering what made them self-destruct? Should I be concerned about the ones I did way back, maybe 20 years ago now. They show no deterioration so far. They were painted with either Humbrol or Model Master enamels I'm sure, as were the ones I've just done for the Bulldog tank. What do you think caused the problems you experienced? :hmm:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, I honestly can’t say what causes the problems. I first encountered it with some AFV Club tracks, that I put a thinned enamel wash upon, before I even installed them. As soon as I tried to get them on the model, they broke apart. So my next build using them, Tamiya and AFV Club, I went with water based acrylics to paint the tracks. They went on sure enough, but within a short time of installation, they broke. I’ve even had another set break after installation but with no painting yet. Although those were fairly tight in tension. I don’t think the material has much strength for stretching stress. Now the old school vinyl tracks from Tamiya & Italeri that are joined by heat melting the end pins, I have sets of those installed that are 40 years old now and still going strong.

All I know is that for the Tamiya and AFV Club kits in my stash that I have those gluable soft plastic tracks will need AM replacement tracks. More expenses in the long run. I don’t care much for Indy link track assembly, being that it’s very tedious and time consuming for clean up and assembly. I do wish that more kits came with link & length tracks.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I had a good bench session in today after lunch. I completed about 95% of the turret assembly. I need to do a little bit of painting before I call the turret finished and I can move on to priming the turret

Now of course I had to test fit the turret….

I think tomorrow that I’ll wrap up the rest of assembly aside from clear parts that I won’t glue into place until just before weathering….

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It looks really cool Stik!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike. I really like the lines of the early M48s, they were very clean. Of course their range and gas mileage was crap, but… :whistle:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looks great Carlos!

So what is the idea about the canvas covers over the gun mantel?

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”