AMT’s 1955 Chevy Bel Air

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

AMT’s 1955 Chevy Bel Air

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Without cluttering up the Latest Acquisition thread, I will start here.

With the situation regarding the kit’s wheels (or lack of them in the kit) and the tires, I managed to scrounge up what I was looking for.

Option #1

I have a GTO kit I had won at Syrcon in a raffle a year or so ago. I can use the custom wheels since my original plan was to build it stock anyway. It also came with two sets of tires - stock and custom.

Option #2

I had an old Monte Carlo kit that has been broken apart due to negligent handling by the missus since I’ve told her numerous times to be careful. Right now the point is mute BUT.... another choice of custom wheels from my spare parts stash prior to my tossing back in ‘98. The tires are exactly the same as from the GTO kit. I may opt to use those instead of from the GTO kit.

Now color options...

I had debated in a few two tone color combinations

Maroon with Meteor Grey (similar to a champagne color - Zero paints)

Burgundy and silver

Medium to deep Blue and silver. I did find a Nassau Blue, a consideration for this build.

https://www.zero-paints.com/Nassau_Blue ... -7667.html

Yellow and white

Interior colors most likely will be two tone colors depending on my choice of car body color choice. I’ve been looking at various images for ideas - some from seeing. color combinations on a 1956 Chevy Bel Air. The possibilities are endless.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: AMT’s 1955 Chevy Bel Air

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm:
With a ‘56 Bel Aire I always tend to think of high school... my favorite one I remember was an aqua or turquoise blue and white two tone..
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
The Drifter

Post by The Drifter »

I definitely remember that color scheme, and I also liked the coral and white two tone.
Jeff
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I came across the rims I think would look awesome for this '55 Bel Air - see box cover. Where did I find it? Why, they were in with the kit molded in white.

So, with not having Alclad on hand to go chrome, I used the Molotow Chrome pen.

Here's before painted chrome....

One rim painted using the Molotow Chrome pen... (Yes, it's still wet)

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Wow, what a car! Is mankind still able to build something like this? I tend to doubt...
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I'll be in on following this build Tom. I've heard and read a lot about this kit. Your Molotow application on the wheels looks good straight from the pen. Just so you know this stuff, when dispensed into a paint cup, goes on really smooth from an AB. Not being prone to handling after applying is one of Molotow's weaknesses but this has been addressed lately by the use of Spaztix Ultimate Chrome Clear that can be airbrushed on afterwards and it doesn't tarnish the Molotow. I'll see if I can find the article or a discussion thread if your interested.

I applied Molotow followed up with SUCC here on my rear wheels for my '56 Ford:

Straight Molotow Dispensed and shot thru AB:

After SUCC:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

How do you get it out of the pen? What cleans it up? Inquiring minds want to know.....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:How do you get it out of the pen? What cleans it up? Inquiring minds want to know.....
:P1:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Lyle:If I’m not mistaken it’s alcohol based so it cleans up with Windex. No thinning necessary when shooting thru an AB. That’s not a pen in the picture. It’s a 30 ml refill bottle. Just shake ‘er up and dispense into the paint cup and you’re set.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

As OfficeR Toody would say, “Ohh! Ohh!” I’ll hav
E to look for that!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”