BlackSheep’s MPC 1957 Flip Nose Chevy Corvette

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

BlackSheep’s MPC 1957 Flip Nose Chevy Corvette

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Since my eyes aren’t quite clear enough to resume the F-16 kits, I figure to get a jump start on another auto kit. I’ve done this kit back in the 80s and wasn’t too pleased with the end result.with the working hinges for the flip nose. This was a door prize I won at Syrcon about 3 years ago. Pics to follow...

The kit....

Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Re: BlackSheep’s MPC 1957 Flip Nose Chevy Corvette

Post by LyleW »

That seems like a plan! Hope you are progressing?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Engine progress thus far....

Painted using Gunze Red Steel. Looks good to me. :lashed:

Blower assembly parts...

Engine completed. The blower fought me because one being the platform it's suppose to sit on was a tad long to sit properly. Once I trimmed from the back to make it sit properly, you'd thnk its all good. Wrong!!! Even though I had glued it in place and was ready to put the belt assembly on, the top pins it didn't line up evenly to the blower panel. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I needed to add a piece of something to raise it a hair. I didn't have any styrene sheets for I never saw a need for them all these years. So what to do? What to do? Looked around my bench and saw a red party cups and the idea came to mind. I cut a small piece and placed it on top of the platform, put the blower assembly on, dry fitted the belts. Perfect!!

I then proceeded to cut the same size as the platform it sits on, glued it on, glued the blower assembly on top, glued the belts and let it sit over night. This is the end result with blower assembly touched up with Molotov chrome....

Exhaust pipes...

Consists of 4 pieces and really fought me for a day and and let dry overnight. Next I super glued the malean hour or so along with a bit of swearing and cussing.

You'd think it would be easy right? Oh hell no!!! Nothing lined up straight or right. After awhile, I simply nipped off the locating tabs on the one half of the exhaust pipe. First I glued on the little nub part to one side of the pipe with super glue, let dry overnight. Next night, I glued the other half to line up uniformly to the nub. perfect! next I glued the exhaust tips on and let those set overnight.

Here's the end result prior to paint...

It's funny how times had changed when I first built this kit back in the 80s. Everything went extremely well and never had issues with fit. This time around, I was having fit issues. Must be the age of the molds or something. I don't know.
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Fri May 29, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Nice save with the plastic cup Tom. Man aint this stuff fun!!!?? :whistle:

Very cool subject by the way.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you. Gotta think "What would MacGuyver do?" :giggles:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great...now there will be a shortage of red plastic cups..
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

BlackSheep214 wrote:MUST BE THE AGE OF THE MOLDS OR SOMETHIING,I DON'T KNOW.

Could be the age of the builder! Ask me how I know! :tongue: :giggles: :whistle:
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I may be old but I ain’t dead yet... far from it. :rofl:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

"May be old" :rofl: "May be old" :rofl: I'm old. I know old. I laugh heartily in your cereal.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That doesn’t have the same ring to it as “I drink your milkshake”... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”