BlackSheep’s MPC 1957 Flip Nose Chevy Corvette

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: BlackSheep’s MPC 1957 Flip Nose Chevy Corvette

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:Looks like you’re having fun with this one. The Blue and white are a nice color combination.
Not white. Mr. Hobby Light Grey. Tamiya Light Grey for floor. :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Looking good.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ok, this is my WHAT THE HELL!?!?! moment... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I don't what happened here except possibly Gorilla Glue fumes caused this. No idea how to fix this. :bored:

The firewall gave me fits and struggled with this for a while. Retied it again this morning and managed to get it to fit the best I can. Screw it, I'm not fixing this any longer. :bored:

Anyway... Roll cage and interior installed.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Try wet sanding with high grit and then a dip in Gauzy.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That should polish or buff out...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

True. Big mystery is which surface side? Out or inside? If it’s the outside surface, I could use my Drexel polishing wheel. If interior side, well..... :hmm: :whiteflag:
I hate to remove the mirror and gauge on the dash top surface though. I’ll figure it out...

midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Wow. Yeah looks like a fume issue possibly or actual glue on the surface, but I'm sure you didn't do that lol. I use 5 minute epoxy for all my glass.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It appeared to be from the interior side of the windshield than from the exterior side. Broke out the dremel with the polishing wheel. Looked ok enough for me. Pics forthcoming...

Spent the hour last night trying to figure out the hinge parts for the nose front. Instructions didn’t seem too clear exactly where a d how it’s connected to the frame. Laid 8n bed last night thinking of a better way to create the hinge pieces. The thought turned similar from what I remember from the Spirit of ‘57 kit I did back in the 80s.

Looks like I’m going to need some styrene sheets to create sort of a triangle type hinge with brass tubing to drill to radiator part. I’ll figure it out.... :hmm:

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Can't see the pics yet Tom but I'll be looking in on this build tonight when I get home. Can't wait.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

The update on windshield as promised... I don't care anymore but it's an improvement.

You know the old saying "one step forward and two steps back." That's what happened to me tonight. I was installing the front tires on when suddenly the ball joint piece gave out and snapped on me. Now I'm pissed since it was too delicate and too thin to begin with. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

At this point I came damn near tossing the kit to the floor. Did I mention I was pissed?? So I calmed down after stepping out for ice cream with the missus to think this over on how to fix this. What would MacGuyver do???

Upon returning a light bulb came on... I can snip off the other lower pin and drill a hole through the middle piece using.... paper clip!!! I pulled off the plastic coating off and measured the length I need...

Sanded down both ends where the pins were …

Drilled the hole through and test fit paper clip piece and this is the result...

Oh yeah, that'll work!! Tomorrow, I will attempt to cut to size and reinsert green plastic sleeve (from paper clip) to top and lower pin to give it a firm fit once I reattach the ball joint to front end on chassis.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”