OOB Revell 1998 Trans Am-Now In Completed Section

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

OOB Revell 1998 Trans Am-Now In Completed Section

Post by mustang1989 »

I’m going to try something new folks. I’ve been building models now on and off for the past 4 decades. I’ve only been a more dedicated and active builder in the last 9 or so years. Being a modeler who likes details I often spend 6+ months on any given build with my quickest turn out being around 3 months. With all that being said-my threads tend to be rather lengthy. What I’m shooting for is to start a thread with a model build that will be as close to OOB as possible with just a few scratch-built changes. No aftermarket upgrades, no fancy PE sets …..notta. The aim is to complete a build without a whole lot of complications. This….is going to be a challenge for me on a number of levels but one that I hope to meet.

I've been wanting to build a late 90's / early 2000's Trans Am for a while now. I was working in a Pontiac Dealership as an auto tech when the 1998 Trans Am equipped with the new LS1 engine were being freshly delivered and I instantly fell in love with these cars. I mean the 93-97 T/A's were nice but these...….were A LOT faster than their LT1 equipped counterparts. No factory American built car had given me the "butterflies in the stomach" feeling under hard acceleration the way my first test drive in one of these things had. Beautiful and fast cars these were and even though I never actually owned one, I got several chances to drive pre-sold and the used offerings that were there on that lot (SIDE NOTE HERE-I was NOT one of those techs who went out joyriding in owners vehicles-just a wrong thing to do to another man’s car) and I loved every minute of it.
The Kit:

And....we'll be going with a red one in honor of the Red Rocker Sammy Hagar. This thing just screams "I Can't Drive 55". :giggles:

LyleW
Admin

Re: OOB Revell 1998 Trans Am

Post by LyleW »

Good luck! I know it will be a top notch build and gorgeous. OOB? Minimal updates? Nah...…..
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote:Good luck! I know it will be a top notch build and gorgeous. OOB? Minimal updates? Nah...…..
:giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LyleW wrote:Good luck! I know it will be a top notch build and gorgeous. OOB? Minimal updates? Nah...…..
This one's already under way and the only OOB item I've used so far is an oil filter decal. She'll be a relatively quick build.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Fantastic. Your introduction was incredible, Joe. It’s always a pleasure to read your writing and to clearly have your goals articulated from the start. My first thought is I tried and failed to do OOB due to the scale, kit choice and my own personal ideas, so I am curious to see how you take this on, buddy—very curious. My second thought is despite however long it takes, I know from my slot car experience that surface preparation is the purest joy for an automobile build. Details can be soft and not even presented but a surface is the critical component—and you are the master of surface finish, Joe. I wish you the very best with this beauty, and I’ll be following along to see how you do OOB! You got this.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Bruce and Carlos!

Bruce: I started by taking all the parts off of the trees and cleaning every last part up in regards to seam filling and flash removal and then bagged the parts according to their area...i.e.....engine, chassis, interior, etc. I've actually been working on this through the week and now have the OOB 5.7 liter LS1 engine completed.
I was an powerplant tech at the time in Dallas and little did I know that these engines would put me pretty much out of the V-8 repair business. I mean they still have their problems and all but I made ALOT more money on the old Chevrolet Small Block engines. After the introduction of the GEN III V-8 gone were the oil and coolant leaks associated with the Small Block Chevrolet's of the time. These are, without a doubt, some of the best engines out there.

Anyhow...the completed OOB engine. (except for that oil filter decal---never seen something so minute make such a difference in a scale engine build appearance). For some reason the exhaust manifold paint texture came out grainy in the photographs but are smooth in real life. Weird.... :hmm:

Stikpusher

Re: OOB Revell 1998 Trans Am-Engine Complete-04/27

Post by Stikpusher »

Where’s all you usual wiring? :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Where’s all you usual wiring? :whistle:
You are so bad!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Me?

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”