Revell Motor City Muscle 1966 Shelby GT350H

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Revell Motor City Muscle 1966 Shelby GT350H

Post by keavdog »

Just recently started looking at the aftermarket for carbs etc. What a difference!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A little progress and I'm not happy. I did a little bit of hunting around for this "Raven Black" Went to Advanced Auto website and entered the tear, make and model of the Shelby Mustang. The result match turned up as Dupicolor brand Universal Black Metallic. Now we're getting somewhere.. Here's the Duplicolor I got. Expensive...$10.49 plus tax. Wow...

After spraying 4 or 5 light coats, it's nowhere near to getting black as I had hoped. Yes, I shook the rattle can for at least 4-5 minutes. It's more darl grey than black. At first when wet, it looked awesome. When it's dry, no so much.

I am disappointed to say the least. It's getting an Easy Off bath this weekend to strip it completely clean.

Went to hobby Lobby and picked this up.... Testors Blazing Black lacquer. At this point I don't care anymore. It's getting this painted on.

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I know you're frustrated but whatever you do ....don't throw that Blazing Black on there. Believe me....you're gonna care. I tried some of that stuff and the metal flakes are waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of scale and I just didn't like the way it looked.

Put this build on the back burner long enough to source some Model Master Semi Gloss Black Lacquer 28156. Shake the can WELL and repaint this puppy. Let that cure out for 3-4 days. After that put your cals on because it'll be more than smooth enough for that. Then just gloss over all of that with a known good gloss that you're comfortable with. Hang with it and take 'er slow brother.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Bummer! We have such great expectations when it comes to painting time, most the time it turns out good - then there's the stinkers. That's okay - strip it and try again! Great car BTW
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

After sleeping on it, I'm shelving this one for now. I've decided to wait til Zero Paints restock on their paint lines through Hobby World USA website. There is a 2006 Mustang black I've been eyeing on for quite some time.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mustang1989 wrote:I know you're frustrated but whatever you do ....don't throw that Blazing Black on there. Believe me....you're gonna care. I tried some of that stuff and the metal flakes are waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of scale and I just didn't like the way it looked.

Put this build on the back burner long enough to source some Model Master Semi Gloss Black Lacquer 28156. Shake the can WELL and repaint this puppy. Let that cure out for 3-4 days. After that put your cals on because it'll be more than smooth enough for that. Then just gloss over all of that with a known good gloss that you're comfortable with. Hang with it and take 'er slow brother.
Good advice!

Bummer Tom but you've made the right choice.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thanks Stuart. It’s not like I’m in a hurry to restart it anytime soon. At least I’ve got the ‘61 Impala SS and the ‘53 Ford F100 to keep me busy. I’ve made my decision on the colors for the F100 - MCW finishes has Polynesian Brown Metallic. Yup, that’s gonna look pretty awesome with white too. :lashed:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sounds cool!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Or strip it, send it to me and I'll paint It for you just pay for return postage.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Finally got around to putting it in an Easy Off bath... along with the ‘61 Impala SS body as well. Messed up on that one too. :bag: :headbang: :headbang: :bag:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”