BS214's AMT '49 Mercury

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

BS214's AMT '49 Mercury

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A kit I wanted to have for years but never did one in my youth years... AMT '49 Mercury I got this kit on a trade at modelcarsmag.com. I've started working on it a bit the last couple weeks. I like the fact that it is a 3 n 1 kit meaning I can build it stock, drag or custom. Lots of parts for me to pick and choose from. So let's see what got done so far.

The kit:

It gave me 2 engine choices: 255 cu. in. "Flathead" V-8 and a 440cu. in. V-8. I built up both anyway. First the 255cu. in. V-8. Painted it Ford Engine Red, opting to use Offenhauser cylinder heads, intake manifold, "Beehive" oil filter and dual Stromberg 97 carburators instead of bone stock cylinder heads, intake manifolds and carburator. The fan belt assembly had the alternator molded on. I didn't like the looks of it, so off it came and used a different alternator from my parts spares bin. Cylinder heads are painted aluminum and enhanced with black detail wash...

The 440 cu. in V-8... The carburators were molded on dual carb intake manifold. I didn't like it and it looked out of scale and too small. So, I grinded them down, used better carburators from a mule Monte Carlo kit I also added a pair of custom air filters. The kit's version were waaay to small, Those were also from same Monte Carlo mule kit as well. I basically repainted them a different shade of metallic silver and am happy with the results.

Top view'''

The hood. Looking at various custom '49 Mercury sedans, I found a lot of them have no molding on top of the hood, "MERCURY" as well as the emblem removed. So, I sanded down all those and am liking it so far,

Next, the side molding needs to be sanded down as well.

I opted to have the trunk glued shut because the hinges looks to be a real PITA to install. You have to install the interior tub in order to hold the other end of the hinge - see instruction guide image. Nope, not gonna happen... :nono: :nono: :nono: :bored:

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: BS214's AMT '49 Mercury

Post by BlackSheep214 »

There were 3 rim choices... bone stock, Moonies and kit stock chrome.

Didn't care for the kit stock chrome ones so I looked in my spares bin and found a set from the "55 Chevy with knockoff center spinners. Oh yeah... those are nice!

The bone stock ones I dressed them up. First I wanted to do sort of a black metallic look. So experimenting using Graphite Metallic, Black, German Silver, and the square bottle Silver, I get this. Yeah, that's looking sharp. Molotow chrome painted on by hand on outer rims. Going to hit the center nubs chrome later on tonight.

They will be mounted on whitewall tires I happened to come across some time back.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Kewl!!!! What color are you going with? That intake sure looks like a hemi cross ram. I like the flathead - looks cool
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

This looks like a cool build so far Tom! I'm curious about the color you'll be going with as well.

I've never seen a cross ram 440 yet but I really like it.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Should be sweet.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you, fellas. I haven't decided on the color yet but I know the interior will be white of sorts. I am waiting for a PM reply from John on the micro sander he debuted here somewhere in these forums. I think that will help speed up sanding the side moldings I want to eliminate. Knowing me, I'll do it by hand because I want to get it done. :giggles:

I have seen one in Micro Mark site as well...

https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Micro-Sander

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

These are the 2 choices I'm thinking of using. The one on the left is from the '55 Chevy kit with the knockoff center nub, the ones on the right were the kit's bone stock rims dressed up in my metallic color and Molotow chrome paint.

To show what the kit's choices also came with, the kit's chrome stock rims and Moonie rims. Not too crazy about the Mercury's own stock rims.

I'm leaning towards the custom metallic black rims.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

The black wheels would work good alright but I'm thinking you might want to test out those moons. Those'll look great with that Merc Tom.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

The more I look at the moonies rims, the more it’s starts to make sense. Why the change of heart? Originally, I was going to go with a satin black finish. Then I started looking at various colors to do it and narrowed down to some sort of dark red or blue.

After having gone to 2 doctor appointments today, I made a stop at Hobby Lobby. No new kit stock on hand so I turned my attention to the paints. Didn’t find a red that caught my eye :bag: but the blue.... oh Lordy... mmm mm! I chose Testors lacquer blue called Deja Blue. It’s the perfect dark shade I’m looking for.

Now, to sand the side moldings off....

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Side trim moldings sanded off and skirts installed!!

Interior tub, seats and roof liner already painted. Pics forthcoming....

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”