AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Close-04/15

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Interior Progress-10/12

Post by mustang1989 »

Been working on the wheels while I'm waiting on my rear seat belts to arrive in the mail. Good LORD these wheels and wheel backings are thick. With the front and backs of the wheels installed on the tires it turns out that they are a mile too wide. Frickin' ridiculous!!! Here's the first wheel of the bunch and this is with the wheel backing sanded down.

The wheel/ tire on the left has been given the proper treatment of the wheel face and wheel backing sanded down while the one on the right only has the wheel back sanded down and it shows .......

The difference in rim thickness. Sanded on the left....

It benefits the realism aspect on the wheel face too. With a black backing it'll show up better.

Before:

and after:

Dragline
Advanced Member

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Wheels-10/18

Post by Dragline »

I'm with you Joe. I have almost always found kit wheels and especially the rim sections to be far too thick and out of scale. I have done similar things to achieve better looking wheels over the years. The work you put into them shows and will pay off in the end with wheels that look true to life and not all bulgy and bloated.

This is what makes projects stand out IMO. This one in particular.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh & never thought of that, but makes total sense !

:writing:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a vast improvement!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks you guys. It's been a while since I've posted an update so I figured I'd do one today.

Got the rear seat belts installed with the rear seat back test fitted into place. Now....moving on to the final stages of the interior.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Rear Seat Area-11/30

Post by jeaton01 »

Smooootthhhh!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Just bought me one of these kits too! I love the progress you're making on this.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks John and Declan!

Finished the interior tub up tonight. Holes were drilled in the tops of the door panel ledges near the rear of the doors where door lock knobs will go later on in the build. Now we're off to the wheels & tire finish up and then I'll start on the body prep.

keavdog
Elite Member

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Interior Tub Complete-12/02

Post by keavdog »

Looking good. The Cobra floor matts and Hot Rod mag are a nice touch.
Thanks,
John
mustang1989

Re: AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Interior Tub Complete-12/02

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks John!!
Moving on to the wheels.....
Every now and then people in business will take the time to listen to a consumer and make necessary changes. I spoke with Eric Oberhofer at Round 2 at the beginning of September in regards to the AMT 67 Mustang Fastback issues. One of the issues involved the tires that came in the kit which were Firestone Super Sports tires instead of the Firestone Wide O Oval tires that were on the box top. He had mentioned that he was going to bring this issue up in the next board meeting. Meanwhile I had received a set of Wide O Oval decals from a friend of mine on the forums. After removing the Super Sports logos from the sides of the tires and had applied those, however, they looked too big and I was left scratching my head at what I was going to do next. I decided to go down to Hobby Lobby and purchase another kit and use the Super Sports tires...........BUT............when I opened the box of the newly purchased kit I found..........a set of Wide O Oval tires now in the box!!!!!! A BIG shout out goes to Eric and the Round 2 team involved in making this change.

Before the change this is what came in the box....

and this is now what comes in the box. Here mounted on my newly painted & detailed wheels. This may not seem like a big deal to some but these tires look so much better than the others with just a lettering font size and different name on the tires to me.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”