AMT (Round 2) Mack R685ST

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT (Round 2) Mack R685ST

Post by LyleW »

She has started fighting back....sort of passive-aggressive.

After mucking up the windscreen, I blacked it out. I was already considering this option, anyway. The interior was way below even my standards. I used some Bare Metal Foil 'Black Chrome' to cover the winders.

Still have to chrome the mirror supports and touch up some of the body color. Found a mirror effect spray paint from Rustoleum....a couple of youtube videos seem to show that it really does produce a mirror finish on clear sheet - spray it on the reverse side (4-5 coats). Sho 'nuff looks like a mirror finish. Thought I'd spray some clear plastic sheet and cut out the side mirrors. Yeah, I am a dork.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

If there's one thing I cannot stand on these old AMT trucks it's those mirrors. The least they could've done was to have molded the mirror bracketry all in one piece. She's looking good so far bro.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Joe. The plastic on those brackets is getting soft. I bathed them in DeBonder a couple of days ago an almost melted them! Never had that happen before!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Looks good. The windshield looks like it could be made from clear sheet plastic.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks. Hmmm, Certainly, the rear and side windows could be. They are flat. May investigate that. Since I'm making replacement parts this morning for those that have gone into hiding....
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle… what do the missing parts see in your work area that makes them go into hiding? :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The parts saw me with some CA and ran.

I decided to take the black chrome BMF off the windows and repair the marred area of the right windshield. Looks much better.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:The parts saw me with some CA and ran.
As long as it wasn’t those crochet speedos… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Not today....way to windy, but in the 70s, though.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Between our weather being in the 70s and then snow the next day...Pam has bronchitis, and we have been running around to way to many doctor appts. Had two more whopping water bills and paid $350 to have our water line pressurized to check for leaks.....no leaks. Guess terlets are running? Back down this month. Pam swears our neighbors are stealing the water! :bag:

Anyway, I thought this was close to being finished. The more I work on it the more things fall off. Sort of like old age, I guess. With all the fiddley bits for the mirror brackets, some were sure to break. While I've escaped from breakage, two did go missing. One upper support bracket and one mirror bracket.

I ended up making replacements out of some styrene rod and a bit of sheet styrene. For the mirror brackets, I spent way too much time trying to heat the rod and make the bends. Every time, the first one was okay, the second one would not work. So, I gave up and glued, using butt joints and sheet styrene for corner gussets, some rod and then cut a couple of pieces of styrene tubing and split them. Glued them on the brackets for the mirror support.

On the mirrors, I painted up some clear plastic sheet, scored it with the Silhouette cutter and glued it on the mirroe. Thought it added a bit of dimension to the critter.

I realize this isn't much, but it is what I've been doing.

These will be cut to length and the mirror brackets sanded down to a more scale-like look.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”