1/12 Tamiya Formula 1

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

1/12 Tamiya Formula 1

Post by wjkunert »

These are 3 1/12 scale Tamiya Formula 1 cars I've built over the past several years. The red and white car is a McLaren MP 4/6. It was dominant in it's time. The blue and yellow car is a Williams FW 14B. It was also dominant. The gold and blue car is a Wolf Racing WR 1. It did well but the team only lasted a couple years. The motorcycle is a Tamiya Suzuki that was built by Suzuki to commemorate the WR1

[imagehttps://s26.postimg.org/es0nwdynd/DSCN0026.jpg][/image]

Last edited by wjkunert on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Formula 1

Post by Stikpusher »

I know I'm going against the flow of my countrymen, but I find the Formula 1 race cars far more appealing than NASCAR. Those are beautiful! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Those are truly fantastic builds!

I can see the Williams belonging to Nigel Mansel, guessing the season to be 1991 or 1992

But then the McLaren, is it Ayrton Sennas ?

Myself being pretty big fan of Formula-1 (mainly due to (an abnormally big amount of) all Finnish drivers throughout the years).
Have never built any F1 kit, exceeds my competency..

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

KSaarni wrote:Those are truly fantastic builds!

I can see the Williams belonging to Nigel Mansel, guessing the season to be 1991 or 1992

But then the McLaren, is it Ayrton Sennas ?

Myself being pretty big fan of Formula-1 (mainly due to (an abnormally big amount of) all Finnish drivers throughout the years).
Have never built any F1 kit, exceeds my competency..

- Kari
The FW 14B was from 1991 and 1992 and was basically the car that ended McLaren's dominance of F1. The MP 4/6 was from 1991(this was Senna's car) and was replaced by the MP 4/6B in 92 but wasn't dominant. This was just a couple of years before cars became turbocharged 6 cylinder. The MP 4/6 used a 12 cylinder naturally aspirated Honda engine. McLaren has pretty much stayed with Honda engines although for the past few years they have been down on power compared to Mercedes and Ferrari. Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits re not difficult to assemble as they are like their planes-everything fits. The FW 14B is available from sealmodel.com for about $85 plus shipping from China. The MP 4/6 is hard to find. I paid $125 during the few days sealmodel had it in stock.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Stikpusher wrote:I know I'm going against the flow of my countrymen, but I find the Formula 1 race cars far more appealing than NASCAR. Those are beautiful! :shoutout:
I think the earlier F1 cars(middle 80s to middle 90s) were much nicer looking than today's cars. The FW 14B and MP 4/6 were two of the best looking in my eyes. Check out http://www.f1m.com/ the Formula 1 modeling site for some fantastic builds. Mine are very ordinary compared to what these fanatics produce. It's an interesting site.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I will go have a look there later on. Thanks for the link.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've never done a Formula 1 type race car kit before. I've done NASCAR kits before and hated them. Those are nice builds!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I've never done a Formula 1 type race car kit before. I've done NASCAR kits before and hated them. Those are nice builds!
These are all Tamiya cars. You can go to their website and download the construction manuals. I always do that before I order any of their products. The FW 14B is still available at sealmodel.com for about $85. If you check out the manual you will understand why they are a bit expensive.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Beautiful work on these large scale autos!!!! At 1/12 those builds would take up a lot of room. Where do you display those bad boyz at?
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

mustang1989 wrote:Beautiful work on these large scale autos!!!! At 1/12 those builds would take up a lot of room. Where do you display those bad boyz at?
The 1/12 scale F 1 cars are shorter than a 1/48 scale F 4 or F 14. The MP 4/6 and FW 14 are only about 13 inches long.

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”