35 Year Old Monogram Camaro Restoration/ Upgrade

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
mustang1989

35 Year Old Monogram Camaro Restoration/ Upgrade

Post by mustang1989 »

Alrighty folks. This build has finally come to an end. When I started this project in January I thought I was looking at a 3 month project. What followed was a seven month venture to pump some life into my first ever auto build which dates back 35 years. All in all the old build was in decent shape as I'd managed to keep it encased since first building it at age 13. When I left home at age 19 for the Army I left this build and several others behind where it stayed all this time until I finally picked it up from my parents house and put it in my display case here at home where it's spent the last 5 years. When I started on it 7 months ago there was no engine and the interior was.......well ........you know ...........very "Monogram" basic. I had alot of work ahead of me which I found out throughout the course of the re-build. I ended up using a total of five other kits to piece some of the missing pieces together (one of which was a newer Revell Camaro release kit to "update" this old dog of a kit with some of the parts that Monogram had failed to put in their kit) , hood and wheels were donations from good friends here on the forums (thanks be to Dale and Paul). Powertrain/ drive train was from the AMT Chevelle SS396 kit. I ended up spending ALOT of time in the interior as well as the engine compartment. All badging is from PE fret for the Revell Camaro kits and the paint is GM paint code 79U--Mystic Teal Metallic, a paint that was used in the late 90's/ early 2000's on GM vehicles (Camaro's / Firebirds being in that line up). I also opted to transform this into an SS which took a little fancy foot work with the grille but I managed to pull it all off okay. I'm pretty happy with the results although the kit (as well as me) had it's limitations. lol. I'd like to thank everyone who followed along and encouraged me along the way on this trip back in time.

With that.......here's the shots.

Before shots:

Money Shots:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 35 Year Old Monogram Camaro Restoration/ Upgrade

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks awesome! Nice touch with the "Playboy" magazine on the front seat. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

CONGRATULATIONS!

How does it feel to make an important milestone from early experience transform into this beautiful, shiny and fast object? Incredible work, worthy of the time you spent reclaiming and redoing her. She looks far tougher and sleeker now! She looks wizard! Is she a she, lol... this just popped into my leaky roof brain. She is... beautiful.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

What a rebuild! Beautiful. NOW will you build an airplane?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

LyleW wrote:What a rebuild! Beautiful. NOW will you build an airplane?
:P1:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

How about a racer airplane?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow! What a spectacular renovation! Stunning work man! I am overwhelmed. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:
How about a racer airplane?
LOL!!!!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looks awesome! Nice touch with the "Playboy" magazine on the front seat. :giggles:
Thanks Tom! LOLOL Not quite buddy. lol
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

speedgraflex wrote:CONGRATULATIONS!

How does it feel to make an important milestone from early experience transform into this beautiful, shiny and fast object? Incredible work, worthy of the time you spent reclaiming and redoing her. She looks far tougher and sleeker now! She looks wizard! Is she a she, lol... this just popped into my leaky roof brain. She is... beautiful.
Man thanks Bruce. It feels pretty good to be done with this after 7 months I can tell you that. lol. I'm just glad that its back in the display case as I was scared to keep handling it.

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”