AMT....ish Dodge 440 Engine Build

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
mustang1989

AMT....ish Dodge 440 Engine Build

Post by mustang1989 »

Sorry I haven't been around a whole bunch as of late fellas. Work has got me going in 10 different directions with changes coming in tidal waves. I'm pretty easy going with change in progressive waves but not all at once like the company that I'm working for is doing. It is completely exhausting. It's so bad that there's been a multitude of employees who've either said "Screw it" and retired or the same statement and sought employment elsewhere. In any case it's been pretty tough in my shop as of late.
With that being said I've slept in a lot more these days due to being totally wiped out but have managed to build a little something to have something to look forward to at the bench. I built this engine as part of one of those community projects that I talked about in another thread where there's 4-5 builders across the board building different sections of the model and sending it back to the administrator to assemble everything.

I got a 440 engine out of an AMT 74 Roadrunner kit which had a real POS engine out of the box. What you're seeing here is the base engine/ transmission, oil pan and headers from the AMT parts bag that was sent to me so that it can be easily installed into the AMT chassis with no modification. Everything from the cylinder heads on up, timing cover, belt/pulley setup, alternator and cooling fan are all Revell. Spark plug wires are from True Details, fuel line fabricated from aluminum wire, and engine wiring harness is scratchbuilt. Air cleaner decal is from Revell and the oil filter decal is from Slixx. That air cleaner decal was a real PIA to get to lay down right. Took about 10 coats of Microsol and some decal cutting to get it to lie down.

Anyways...The completed shots:

speedgraflex

Re: AMT....ish 440 Engine Build

Post by speedgraflex »

I love it! I am sorry to hear about your situation. I truly am. I got my hours cut at the beginning of the month... and what you wrote about sleeping or not sleeping and being stressed I relate to very strongly. My way out has been gym time and fasting. So, yeah, back to this incredible project—this is a work of art, and I am really excited you let yourself build the way you do, which is just awesome and inspiring and I am really grateful you are here. Stay the course!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That looks really good. Wondering if anyone makes PE fans - that would be a cool addition.
BTW - we may work for the same company. I've been managing transition since 2011 :bored:
What's it going in? Mustang :giggles:
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is blooming awesome Joe - hard workj it may have been but very worthwhile time spent I'd say.

Sorry to hear of your work issues - I hope it settles down ASAP.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT....ish Dodge 440 Engine Build

Post by LyleW »

Joe, hang in there buddy! This looks really good.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks guys. I'm getting through it all but I'm friggin' beat at the end of every day.

Tom:
Thanks bud. It's going into a 1974 Roadrunner. There are PE fans that are available but it's mostly for aftermarket flex fans and the like, but I have used those before:

midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Another stellar engine Joe!
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Lee!!
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Beautiful work! I hear yah on the shop stuff... Stuck in the same industry as you.
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mustang1989 wrote:Thanks guys. I'm getting through it all but I'm friggin' beat at the end of every day.

Tom:
Thanks bud. It's going into a 1974 Roadrunner. There are PE fans that are available but it's mostly for aftermarket flex fans and the like, but I have used those before:

If it wasn’t for the clothespin, I would swear that this is the real deal. Your work is THAT good.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”