1930 Packard Bottail Speedster

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
Dragline
Advanced Member

1930 Packard Bottail Speedster

Post by Dragline »

This was part of an OOB challenge back in 2012. I have a few of these classic Monogram kits. Auto modelers are a funny lot. There are quite a few who feel that 1/24 scale is just a wrong scale. Scale snobs if you like. I'll never understand it. If it's a subject I like and wish to build, I buy it and build it, scale be damned. There are some that say 1/24 just looks wrong displayed beside 1/25. If you can tell the difference then perhaps you have issues. For me it's all about building what you love. I'll never change.

Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1930 Packard Bottail Speedster

Post by LyleW »

Neat. I do like those cars of yesteryear. I had a few that were metal kits.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oooooo....... shiny!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh that is a beautiful build! And man does that car have style!!!

Now the difference between 1/32 and 1/35 is pretty easy to see... 1/48 to 1/50 a bit less so... 1/24 to 1/25, are you kidding me? I hear ya about modeling snobs of one type or another. No thank you. Just because you don’t build a certain scale, subject, brand, etc. doesn’t mean others don’t, and that you cannot appreciate their efforts.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I'm with ya Stik. How is it you can limit yourself and walk past such a beautiful car because it's scale is NOT 1/25? Makes absolutely no sense at all.

For my part I've grown to ignore them and do my own thing. There are a great many complaints that the new Jaguar XKE from Revell is 1/24 scale. Like the world revolves around U.S. model builders who need to have their binky cleaned and bottle checked every hour. It's a British car and Europeans will be building it and 1/24 scale is the international scale after all. That's why Monogram made all their stuff in 1/24 back in the day. Sales across the ocean mattered to them and seeing 1/24 on the box made the sale that much easier. Though I imagine seeing 1/25 wouldn't have stopped many at any rate. It's all a mystery to me.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Beautiful. I agree. Scale to me is irrelevant.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Fist off - what a beauty. What color is that? I did the 32 caddy way back in high school. Second, I’ll build any scale car or bike. 1/12, 1/16, 1/20... I am partial to 1/48 except airliners which I do 1/144 or 1/200.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

The colors are quite simple really. Duplicolor silver and a rattle can black for the fenders. Nothing fancy here. Some clear coat and it's off to the races.

Thanks for the superlatives gents.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Sweet, a beautiful car well done. Got that one in the stash. And the Pyro Auburn Speedster, 1/32. I've been collecting cars in 1/48 and 1/32 for quite awhile. The only one I've built is the Pyro 31 CadillacPhaeton. Another one I really should drag out is the Monogram 1/24 31 Cadillac V16 Dual Cowl Phaeton. Cars that were built before all the good styling ideas were used up!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

The dual cowl Caddy is in the stash here as well. I think I may break out the Johan Chrysler Turbine next.

How is the Pyro Auburn? Pyro kits tend to be.... well, you know..

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”