Grossdeutschland

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
lawman56
Advanced Member

Grossdeutschland

Post by lawman56 »

This is my first diorama build since regaining my ability to create. I've always liked to build things that aren't part of the " cool kids" clique (as my past builds should show), so I went with a German halftrack. To add flavor, I decided to pick a unit that would have used them somewhat regularly. Here's where the Wehrmacht makes my brain hurt. It seems everybody had tracks, not just the Panzer units. If I looked hard enough, I'd swear there's probably a "Panzerkitchen" somewhere!

I chose Grossdeutschland because I liked the history. Any unit, regardless of political ideals, that will fight to near annihilation, in order to allow others to escape, is respected by me.

Until spring, however, there won't be much progress, since my airbrush painting has to be done outside. I will post what I've done so far shortly. Meanwhile, I need to sort through my posts and try to figure out what kind of lies I promised to show you people.

:tease:
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Grossdeutschland

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking forward to it.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looking forward to it.
:P1:

I just read “The Forgotten Soldier” this past year. I have usually preferred Heer divisions over SS for modeling subjects for personal reasons. And after reading that book, it reinforced my view on that aspect. The GD was indeed a unit worthy of respect from a soldiers perspective.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

I have to agree, Stik. The Heer were warriors with honor. The SS were fanatics. Every dictator has their own bunch of nutjobs they brand as "elite". Unless I have a specific reason to convey a message, you won't see me build anything of the SS.
Joe

lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Here's two of my almost completed figures. Until it warms up outside, I can't dullcoat them, so I can't make them dirty. For now, they'll be shiny, clean Germans. I'll be posting more of the overall WIP as I can.

As always, thanks for looking :ggun:
Joe

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very solid base painting, Joe. Like you mentioned, the gloss along with the direct lighting steals all the depth.
Don't know about the seam on the right arm of the top figure, will a dull coat do the job or could it need a small wipe of filler?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re off to a great start here. Which figures are those?

I’ll still build something from 9th or 10th SS, just for the fact that I have not come across any incidents where they forfeited their honor as soldiers like most other SS units due to their actions on and off the battlefield. Otherwise, I’ll usually choose a unit like GD, Panzer Lehr, or any of the regular Panzer units like 2nd, 11th, 15th, 21st, etc. depending upon what theater I am building for.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Thanks guys.

Mostrich, that seam didn't appear that deep until I reviewed the picture. I still have 3 more to complete, so I'll wait until I've done them all, then take pics and correct as needed. I always try to get pictures in natural sun, then study them. One of the best ways to spot flaws, I've found.

Stik, honestly, I have no idea. It's a Cyber-hobby kit that was in my stash. The figures are MB, but included with the kit and labeled as "German Infantry". Since I had already purchased the Archer dry transfers for the GD, and the kit included the unit markings, I figured "why not?". The big trick now is to decide if the dio will take place in Moscow, or Kursk during Operation Citadel.
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok Joe, now that you mention MB, I recognize them. I swear that I have a big portion of theirs, Tamiya’s, and Dragon’s figure sets in my stash.

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

One of my biggest challenges, so far, has been to build based on weather. I've had to make sub assemblies and put them aside until I can spray outside. I'm not quite used to scheduling various parts of my build, so for now, things can be haphazard at best.

I've been working on the base lately. It started with a few old plaques my brother was tossing. I removed the scribed metal, and ta-da! Instant pre-stained base.

Added some ground base and part of a broken wall left over from my Cassino build.

Now I start placing a rubble base.

And that's where I am right now.

As always, thanks for looking :guitar:
Joe

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”