Dragon sFH 18 Howitzer

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Floki
Elite Member

Dragon sFH 18 Howitzer

Post by Floki »

So I got this idea in my head from a short clip from I think the World at War series showing German artillery some what dug in and camouflaged trained on the beaches. It could of been from another show about D-Day or the Atlantic wall but it sticks out in my mind from that old World at War series. From what it showed was the artillery was mostly dug in except in the rear where it was drug in from then they was connected to other pits and dugouts by trenches. If anything this will just be a work of fiction, I have found photos and war time drawlings online of German anti tank guns in this exact setup so I could see the same thing for artillery. I've had this idea in my head now for about 5 years so I'm finally at the point where I'm going to do it, If anything just so I can stop thinking about it lol.

Like most Dragon kits (This being my 6th if you don't count figure sets) you need to test fit everything! Also the instructions, for being a low part count kit by Dragon standards, are absolutely terrible. A lot of parts just showing a arrow pointing to another and you have to figure out just exactly where it fits on the other part. So far I'm just to step 3 and have already ran into 6 misidentified parts, luckily it has been easy to track down the correct one so far.

The Dragon Artillery crew set can all be assembled in a few ways, I'm going with the at rest poses.

Thanks for looking in!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Re: Dragon sFH 18 Howitzer

Post by Stikpusher »

Just some thoughts for you. One, the concept is excellent. Two, being a howitzer, this is an indirect fire weapon, except under the most dire circumstances. The guns are placed back away from the engagement area, and use indirect high angle plunging fire to destroy their targets. While they may be in a protected position, they will not be water front guns using line of sight direct fire to engage and destroy their targets. The guns usually associated with the Atlantic Wall, being either naval rifles, or anti tank guns (PAKs) of various calibers.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Stikpusher wrote:Just some thoughts for you. One, the concept is excellent. Two, being a howitzer, this is an indirect fire weapon, except under the most dire circumstances. The guns are placed back away from the engagement area, and use indirect high angle plunging fire to destroy their targets. While they may be in a protected position, they will not be water front guns using line of sight direct fire to engage and destroy their targets. The guns usually associated with the Atlantic Wall, being either naval rifles, or anti tank guns (PAKs) of various calibers.
Thanks for the info Carlos. These in question was inland a good bit and already had the beaches zeroed in. Camouflaged from the air and linked by trenches. I didn't mean to give the impression they was on the beach but instead part of the overall Normandy defense.
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Also

The above looks to me like a great basis for a diorama. The figures are massed together as a unit and the composition is extremely coherent within the chaos itself. Whether the men are winning or losing as the case may be they are in their own battle with the earth itself.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Nice project Clint, always nice to follow this kind of builds, with a lot of action! :-)

I was on a pro-longed weekend to Finland last week and among all kind of activities, we happened to pass a military museum in a town called "Hämeenlinna". Unfortunately the museum was not open at the time and besides, a tight agenda would have made it impossible to visit anyhow it.
And only camera I had, was my phone.. But, not sure if your Howitzer would be somewhere in these pictures... :hmm:

And ah ja, there was a high fence surrounding the objects and I start to be too old to climb.. :giggles:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great photo Bruce, they are struggling with that aren't they.

Kari, second photo 1st row in background 1st piece is it! Too bad you didn't have time to go though it, looks like they must have a lot of equipment there.
Last edited by Floki on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odin's sons... Attack!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Should be a good build to watch! You do have a knack for this hobby...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Lyle. I don't know if it's a knack or a way for me to learn more about each aircraft, armor or piece of equipment I build. When trying to learn new things im differently a hands on learner, putting together that King Tiger with full interior really gave me a new understanding on how the crew lived and operated and how the tank itself went together in reality as well.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Floki wrote: Thanks for the info Carlos. These in question was inland a good bit and already had the beaches zeroed in. Camouflaged from the air and linked by trenches. I didn't mean to give the impression they was on the beach but instead part of the overall Normandy defense.
Ok, got ya. If you watch the Band Of Brothers episode Day of Days, that would be a typical prepared defensive artillery position. The guns are dug in with connecting trenchworks to reduce the effects of any counter battery fire, as well as for protection in case of close in infantry attack, and camouflaged to reduce the chance of being spotted from the air. The caliber and range of the weapon, decides what level of artillery it is, and how close it is placed to the engagement area. In WWII, a 150mm howitzer is going to be a division or corps level asset, rather than regimental or lower.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Floki wrote: Kari, second photo 1st row in background 1st piece is it! Too bad you didn't have time to go though it, looks like they must have a lot of equipment there.
Amazing that ”your” howitzer was in the picture!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”