1:87 USN Pearl Harbor Supply Depot Boxcar, Oahu, 1943.

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1:87 USN Pearl Harbor Supply Depot Boxcar, Oahu, 1943.

Post by LyleW »

I really like the work you do on these railroad builds. Not that the other stuff isn’t awfully nice, but you seem to have an affinity for these builds.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lyle,

Thank you so much! I like to believe it is my father’s influence that guides me here. He was of the 1960s slot car and train generation of model builder. To admit candidly that painting a model aircraft is more difficult conceptually for me is also true. Sometimes I think I should take the pressure off and simply build train kits. Building from scratch seems to have fallen out of favor in model railroading which is a darn shame. Truthfully everyone here is so good my own work has improved by following along. Plus, I finish railroad kits, which is not something I do with other subjects.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am not used to working at this scale. Tweezers are necessary! I need to rig fishing line across the bottom and over these forms.

I am sorting out how to do this, keeping the lines taught and in place at the same time. Did I mention I am not used to the scale? This is HO, I’m used to O. I guess I do have a scale preference when it comes to trains.

Reference:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Okay, so era dome thoughts that will hopefully get wheels turning...or, make you pass ou from laughing.

Could you the top of the crossmembers, notch the beam, drop in a tiny piece of tubing and replace the piece that was sliced off? Yeah, I know.

Could you bend up a stiff wire with a 1/4” piece sticking out, heat the wire and melt the holes?

Would the pin portion of a push pin be able to push through with help?

Since it is a box car, could you cut just below floor level, removing the box part drill your holes and reattach the box?

As for the line,

Really thin music wire?

The “stressed concrete” approach. Drill ab extra set of holes that let you out eac end. Tie a knot at one end, pull taught at the other end and glue in place. Then when all secured removed the extra and fill the holes.

Get a Micro Mark catalog. They have a bunch of RR stuff.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hi Lyle,

Great ideas, sincerely, and I appreciate that you are following and frankly I did take your suggestions a bit earlier when I replaced one of the supports holding the archbar trucks in place, so thank you very much and get ready for a massive run on sentence here as well. I sincerely appreciate your ideas, and they are good ones, I think it’s important to have the discussion because I have already filed away points you made. Without discussion, is there learning? There’s only a form of show and tell. I managed to hack myself through to having the wires strung tightly. I chopped into the frame but not all the way—

The red arrows represent where I drilled holes. There are some size issues with the monofilament. I’m pretty sure that this is not what was packed with the kit. It’s not out of scale but I did have to change drill bits.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I finally see the scale of how tiny this is. You're doing a great job on this!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

It's pretty amazing the small scale, but still so detailed that it could be sort of 1:35 ..

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man that looks great Bruce!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you Clint, Kari, Mike, Tom! I sincerely appreciate your comments and follow through. I broke a #77 bit on this project. I needed to order a new one since its diameter is used for the grab handles on the ends. The Microscale decals arrived. These are beautiful but I’m going to have to make a letter by letter, line by line assembly. I think it’s going to be tough to do this correctly. I may have to tape a card stock jig on the sides of the box car.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”