ROK Army Tank Crew Figures.

Here is the place to show of your completed figurine and diorama product.
dmminiatures
Master Member

ROK Army Tank Crew Figures.

Post by dmminiatures »

Here is my attempt of making figures. Its one of my least favorite topic. And i am always having to struggle in trying to get it right.

These are three figures that came with Academy's K9 Thunder Self-Propelled Howitzer. They came in as multiple parts and had separate heads. I was surprised with the the faces which have Asian complexities.

Here is how it looked when it was half completed. I wish I had more WIP images. the base paint is Tamiya acrylics. I used a sponge to re-create the digital camouflage with oil washing. the base flesh color is also Tamiya Acrilics. but the skin tones are artists oils Georgian Oils from Daler-Rowney, notably Flesh Tint, Venetian Red, Buff Titanium, Burnt Sienna, and Raw Umber

The final look are like this. I used W&N 0000 brushes to get all the small details. I also realized that I had to use magnifying glasses (the type you attach on your head).

The figures positioned on the model and base

Monty / dmminiatures
speedgraflex

Re: ROK Army Tank Crew Figures.

Post by speedgraflex »

Monty,

Incredible job—you are right about the ethnicity of the features—and Georgian Oils are so good! Fantastic usage of these colors, textures and tones. Exquisite work all around. I am curious if you have recommended brushes, mixing boards and mediums when using oils. Do you have an art background yourself? (I hope you don't mind my questions. I tend to ask a lot of questions!) Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It may be your least favorite area to work in, but you did great work. Figures are such a challenge to get right.
One critique that I would add on theses guys is their web gear. It likely should be another color besides black. Probably an Olive Green of one shade or another...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well done, Monty! I hate painting figures as well. However... there is a bust I’ve been eyeing for some quite time now. Since the missus is asking what I want for Christmas, I might spring that up to her. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Well done, Monty! I hate painting figures as well. However... there is a bust I’ve been eyeing for some quite time now. Since the missus is asking what I want for Christmas, I might spring that up to her. :giggles:
Just tell her that you’ve been eyeing a bust... :giggles: :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I know what you did there... Nice!! :headslap: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

speedgraflex wrote:Monty,

I am curious if you have recommended brushes, mixing boards and mediums when using oils. Do you have an art background yourself? (I hope you don't mind my questions. I tend to ask a lot of questions!) Cheers!
Thanks, Bruce. Yes I was a fine art student, majoring in prints (lithographs, woodcuts, etch). Learned everything a person needed about color, paints, brushes and all sorts of materials in between LOL.

for brushes, I tend look for sable brushes rather than synthetic. And buy the ones that give excellent performance when you work it that helps you get the results you wanted versus buying because of the brands.

Some of the good ones are surprisingly super cheap. like the "Pagoda" brand I bought at a local book store. it cost only like one US dollar and it is one of my go-to brush for detail work. W&N Cotman is great BTW but i find their brush hard to hold a fine point after several use and so needs extra care (clean in a bar of soap after use).

For the artist oils preparation, I usually try to drain the oil content as much as possible by putting them onto a discarded paper or carton. it helps faster the drying time and helps get a more matt /flat finish compared to if I had to use it straight from the tube. If its too dry, i would just add a tiny bit of Tamiya enamel thinner.

Cheers, Monty
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Stikpusher wrote:It may be your least favorite area to work in, but you did great work. Figures are such a challenge to get right.
One critique that I would add on theses guys is their web gear. It likely should be another color besides black. Probably an Olive Green of one shade or another...
Thanks for the comments Stickpusher. Yes I never got to find a reference of the web gear color. This is just what I found out after your post. You are certainly right about it, not just the belt but the web gear is also a shade of Olive Green of sort.

Monty
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Well done, Monty! I hate painting figures as well. However... there is a bust I’ve been eyeing for some quite time now. Since the missus is asking what I want for Christmas, I might spring that up to her. :giggles:
HAHAHA. perfect timing too!
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Completed Builds: Figurines and Dioramas”