The Duke's Last Ship for 2021

Here is the place to show off your completed ship products.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke's Last Ship for 2021

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is another of the eight models I finished up at this year end.

The Maddog Manufacturing shipyards managed to launch this last ship for 2021. My Japanese Navy has taken in service this JMSDF Izumo aircraft carrier:

This is the Hasegawa 1/700 scale kit complete with a full set of photo etch that I had been doing for a review build. Looking at it, I see a lot of tiny pieces missing, mostly because I can't find the sprues that hold them. Still, one cannot tell from far enough away. Once I find them, I can add them to this. For now, I'm calling it done since I can't move any further on it and it's 99% completed.

Thank you for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: The Duke's Last Ship for 2021

Post by jeaton01 »

Those parts are under repair in the ship's shops, Mark, that's why you can't find them. Looks good!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s a good looking ship build Mark! Very clean and quite ultra modern in appearance. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It's a really cool build Mark!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Than you all for the great replies!

John, that's brilliant! I'll go with that story!

Thank you Carlos! Yes, it does look quite modern doesn't it? I wan to get another one with the ski jump on it. Japan is starting to retrofit those ramps on these carriers for the new F-35s

Thank you Mike! I think it's the first ship I've done in several years. I need to do more!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

That is a sharp looking build! I truthfully wasn't even aware the modern Japanese navy had aircraft carriers. Now I shall be off to Google the subject matter!
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Too small for my eyes but it's certainly well done. Your output is amazing brother.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Robert! I appreciate the kind words. Japan started out with a smaller class of "through deck cruiser" that was mostly an amphibious assault ship called the Osumi class. Those had the capacity to be modified to carry VTOL aircraft like the Harrier if the need arose. Later, when the Chinese bought the Russian Varyag carrier; Japan passed a law allowing them to have carriers again, although they are still limited in a way. The Izumo class was then built, primarily as a helicopter assault ship like the US Navy Wasp class. However the Japanese built these with the capacity for fixed wing aircraft already built in. They even have the ability to add a ski jump to these ships to enhance the capability of the STOVL aircraft that can based on board. These ships are also why the Japanese bought the US F-35. From what I read, they have two of these ships built, and a third under construction.

Drag, thank you. There were times when I felt the same way! After awhile, I just wanted it done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Completed Builds: Ships”