Vietnam War Era

Organize a group build and see who is wanting to participate here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Vietnam War Era

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:We’ve been in Afghanistan for 19 years now... :headslap:
Yep.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: April to December... I've got 'nowt in the stash for this GB but I'm undoubtedly going to get something... :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

April to December sounds good. But not a 7 year Group Build, Lyle. :giggles: :giggles:
Time to go shopping for a Skyhawk and AM decals....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I don't know if I responded here before but I think I have something for this Group Build. I'll check...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I'd be in for an F4 Phantom. My Uncle Steve was an Air Force mechanic in Nam. He worked on F4's almost exclusively.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's cool!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

My Uncle Steve is the coolest guy. He was the father I didn't have at the time. Back in 97 when I was leaving to go live in Baltimore he dropped off a gift for me. The old stereo he had while he was stationed at Peas AF base back in the late 70's. In the box were mint Sansui AU-717 and TU-717 pices and a brand new set of Bose 901's. I also got the Nakamichi reel to reel and a new Denon CD player. He said he no longer had use of them and I would enjoy them. I use this gear all the time except the Bose. Those I kept in the boxes as I'm not a big fan of anything Bose. I recently bought a set of Tekton Lore speakers and those are just amazing with this set up.

Back in the late 70's he taught me how to drive in his Mercury Capri and took me to the base to see Phantoms and F-16's. I got to sit in a Phantom since they were being phased out and Steve was an officer and could basically do what he liked. Phantom's are still my favorites of all time.

Who makes the best kit? Larger scale please.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Cool stories! As for Phantoms, Zoukei-Mura and Academy make the best Phantoms in 1/48. I'm building the Academy F-4J right now and it's not a bad kit at all. It really depends on what version of the Phantom you want.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In 1/32, you can get Phantoms from Tamiya and Revell. Both are good kits, but the Tamiya kit is better detailed, primarily in the cockpit. Tamiya does the F-4C,D, E, and J, while Revell does the RF-4C, F-4E, F, and G. The Tamiya E kits are the older hard wing, while Revell offers the later slatted wing.
I have a Revell G that is sidelined but will resume later on once my display room with adequate space for it is completed. It is BIG!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I saw that Revell kit at Hobby Lobby before. It's a Biggun. Might be a tad too big. Tamiya is almost always a winner, so I may check out their smaller scale offering.

As for version? I'll have to ask Uncle Steve what fighter wing he was with. I'll build up something he was associated with.

Thanks guys...

Return to “Group Build Feeler”