Decanting question

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Decanting question

Post by Greg »

Believe it or not, I just decanted my first paint. Some Tamiya TS rattle can lacquer (it worked per Mustang Joe's instructions from some years ago).

But Joe said it is important to let it de-gas. Do I do this with the lid on or off the Tamiya mixing jar I transferred it into?

If lid is off, I'd worry about paint drying. If on, how does the gas escape the jar? How long before I can start airbrushing?

Talk about a dumb newbie question!

TIA

BTW, there is a sticky Q&A here on subject, but there is no mention of the gassing out part.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Decanting question

Post by Duke Maddog »

A friend of mine showed me how he decants his paints. First, he gets one of those thin red tubes like you find on WD-40 spray cans and puts it on the spray can he wants to decant. Then he decants into a dropper bottle and seals it. Over the course of the next few days to a week, he will gently shake the paint to form bubbles at the top. This indicates gas that has escaped, much of which is not in the bubbles. He will then unscrew the top just enough to hear the gas escape the bottle, than he re-tightens it and lets it sit some more. Once the paint stops forming bubbles at the top when he gently shakes it and no longer hisses when he unscrews the top, the paint is ready for shooting. He says it goes on much finer and smoother than it does from the can.

That is one method. I'm certain others will have some more as well.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I use a straw cut 4 inches long. I let the paint set until it is no longer cold from expansion, and then gently shake it until it stops bubbling. I do the wait and shake cycle a few times until there is no bubbling. The paint is usable after about ten minutes, usually. I have done this with the Tamiya spray cans. I don't put a lid on the container until I am sure it is degassed well enough.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Greg
Advanced Member

Post by Greg »

Duke and John,

Thanks very much for your quick replies.

Of course, I like the 10 minute wait better than the 2 week one. :giggles: I will do some test spraying later, which should be about 6 hrs after the decant, see what happens.

On a side note, I was amazed how cold paint was in the bottle. The outside of the bottle had frost, my masking tape label fell off after I was dumb enough to try to stic it on. .....I felt like a mad scientist!

Thanks again!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I usually wait 15 minutes after decanting before shooting thru an airbrush. Sometimes I’ll stir the decanted paint a bit to release any residual gasses before airbrushing.

I made a couple nozzles from two different rattlecans specifically for decanting. You can see it here...

http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=6072
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Greg
Advanced Member

Post by Greg »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I usually wait 15 minutes after decanting before shooting thru an airbrush. Sometimes I’ll stir the decanted paint a bit to release any residual gasses before airbrushing.
Thanks for the input, Tom. A quick stir looking for bubbles is a good idea. Which reminds me, earlier today I watched a youtube expert teaching us how to decant (obviously, it was his first time).....he stuck a wood stick or something the pot to stir right after the procedure, holy cow did he get a reaction. Maybe I'll put on a hazmat suit before the test stir. :lol:
I made a couple nozzles from two different rattlecans specifically for decanting. You can see it here...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6072
That's very clever! Thanks for sharing.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Actually the only reason he takes two weeks is because he's always working on something else. His technique would take the same time: 10-15 minutes if the did it more frequently.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Greg
Advanced Member

Post by Greg »

Duke Maddog wrote:Actually the only reason he takes two weeks is because he's always working on something else. His technique would take the same time: 10-15 minutes if the did it more frequently.
Ahah!
Greg
Advanced Member

Post by Greg »

After some self-debate, decided to share my mistake of yesterday morning.

I had plenty of really good advice, and still screwed up. Thing about advice, I guess you gotta actually follow it. :headbang:

If there is one bit I really should have paid more attention to, it's John's below.
jeaton01 wrote:I don't put a lid on the container until I am sure it is degassed well enough.
I did the opposite, and here's what I ended up with...

How this happened: I did this before enough coffee and waking up first, mistake #1. I thought for sure it would be ok by now, but how about a final stir, see what happens, right? So what do I do, put in in my paint shaker for 15 seconds. Duh.

First time I haven't been gloved up and wearing my apron playing with paint all summer. Was I surprised when I opened the lid, or what? (ruined my favorite summer shirt, too).

How did this happen? I never stirred at all, despite each of you telling me to. I just gently shook the bottle a few times. If I would have stirred, I would have seen the reaction immediately Replaced the lid thinking I was all done way too soon.

Maybe I won't do that again. Or not. Who knows.

But your advice was all spot on, that part is for sure.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wow - I love science. When it happens to someone else. I must say that I have never had that happen. Dumb luck I guess. I usually just knock the jars over and make a mess. Same result, different method.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”