Brush painting Tamiya acrylics.

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Brush painting Tamiya acrylics.

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

portman wrote:Conclusion... (thus far) even with retarder and thinners they are a PITA to brush paint with.

I've done a few trials (nothing photo worthy) and I just can't get a handle on them, they behave very differently from any other paint I've used.

I think I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and use them on a build - 'tis the only way to get to grips with them properly.
I have been using Tamiya acrylics with laquer tinner in my airbrush. That works very nice. Maybr you could use that just as well for brush painting.
ImageImageImageImageImage
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Bruce, I agree to some extent. But, there is also a whole list of things that other modelers have done over the years, and taken the time to type up to help others avoid the same mess.

I'm thinking that it is more helpful to read "don't use Squadron Green Stuff as nose weight putty" and the various things that people can mix with their paints,,,,,,that turn them into an almost impossible to remove glop in the airbrush. (I did the Green Stuff Mistake myself, years and years before there was a public internet, lol)

Things like that I would rather read and avoid, than try myself. In fact, I try everything involving mixing things in a paint palette to see what the mixture actually does, before I use it on a model, or in my airbrush.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the tip Borg.

I do indeed have some of those thinners, but to be honest I do have other brush paint options. I think I'll keep my Tamiya paints for my Airbrush (when I ever get around to actually trying it).
RexCag wrote:Bruce, I agree to some extent. But, there is also a whole list of things that other modelers have done over the years, and taken the time to type up to help others avoid the same mess.

I'm thinking that it is more helpful to read "don't use Squadron Green Stuff as nose weight putty" and the various things that people can mix with their paints,,,,,,that turn them into an almost impossible to remove glop in the airbrush. (I did the Green Stuff Mistake myself, years and years before there was a public internet, lol)

Things like that I would rather read and avoid, than try myself. In fact, I try everything involving mixing things in a paint palette to see what the mixture actually does, before I use it on a model, or in my airbrush.
Thanks Rex.

Don't worry, I have quite a few paint hacks these days. I do quite enjoy trying out different brands of paint when I can and I find that quite useful.

Agreed - Squadron Green does not a good nose-weight make! (Don't ask how I know).
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Squadron Green as nose weight! OMGWTFBBQ LOL ROFL!!!1!11!!

At least I used Italeri putty as a nose weight and totally melted off a radar dome. So that is totally different. :bored:

Now did I tell you about the first time I used Tamiya Flat base and thought it was a flat coat ? :bag:
ImageImageImageImageImage
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Picks the Borg up off the floor,,,,shakes him,,,,,trying to still his laughter. (do all 7 Billion Borg laugh at the same time?)

Please remember, that was back in my early teens or something,,,back when we still thought we could thin enamels with Ronson fluid (we really could), and then pour it back in the bottle for later. (we really couldn't, lol)
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

RexCag wrote:Picks the Borg up off the floor,,,,shakes him,,,,,trying to still his laughter. (do all 7 Billion Borg laugh at the same time?)

Please remember, that was back in my early teens or something,,,back when we still thought we could thin enamels with Ronson fluid (we really could), and then pour it back in the bottle for later. (we really couldn't, lol)

At least you had the excuse of being a teenager - I did it a few years ago!

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

So far I've had good luck with both Tamiya and Vallejo, but honestly I've had good days and bad with both.

The most consistent results I've had with brush painting large areas has been with Daler Rowney artists acrylics. I haven't found any major vices with those paints (brush and air brush well) but you do have to mix your own colors and match them as best you can to the color charts. It helps to already have a sample to match.

There will be experimentation with every product you'll use. Just keep us posted. There is rarely ever one answer to how any one thing is used in this hobby and it's nice to have options.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: ....

You know what - I think I may have blooming well cracked it. I've just thrown three coats down on my paint mule in 30 minutes - no lift, no brush marks... :hmm:

I've spent ages toying around with ratios of paint, thinners and retarders - a drop here, a drop there etc. But the thing is I hate doing that, I like to paint straight from the jar - on my enamels and humbrol Acrylics I add thinners to the jar before painting.

So I thought sod it and added a big dollop of retarder and another of thinners Right into the jar - and I'll be damned if it hasn't worked. It's completely changed the nature of the paint! From fragile and difficult to use, to something you can beat about a bit, repaint wet areas, change the direction of stroke...

Really interesting. :hmm: I'll let dry over night and then mask off some bits and try another colour. (Just like Bruce's magnets - It might sound strange but it did the job).

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Then you're next issue to potentially deal with will be to see how the paint keeps after those additions over time. I know that I have added thinner and distilled water with no ill effects to Acrylics. But when I've tried that with enamels, you just signed the death warrant for that jar of paint.

Just curious, but how much of what did you add to the Tamiya paints to get them to behave so nicely?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Then you're next issue to potentially deal with will be to see how the paint keeps after those additions over time. I know that I have added thinner and distilled water with no ill effects to Acrylics. But when I've tried that with enamels, you just signed the death warrant for that jar of paint.

Just curious, but how much of what did you add to the Tamiya paints to get them to behave so nicely?
Well that's indeed the question Stik, I guess time will tell. It's worth the cost of a few pots of paint to see though - Even if it only last a year or so it'll be worth it.

I'm really surprised you've had issues with adding thinners to enamels - I've been adding Humbrol Thinners to my paints for years with no issues... well... not that I've noticed :hmm:

I seem to gave added 1ml each of both retarder and X-20A... :headslap: Smells nice!

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”