The Duke's Completed Models ...

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke's Completed Models ...

Post by Duke Maddog »

...starting with the 1/72 scale Saturn V and the Headless Horseman.

Well, you've seen all the work for these on the "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread, here's the completed pics, starting with this 1/72 scale Saturn V model.

These first pics were taken without a flash. I also posed this model in front of my bathroom door after throwing a sheet over it. It was the only place I had to put it for pics. This first one shows the 'solid' side of the rocket:

Here it is turned around so you can see the LEM inside:

These next two pics were taken with a flash and I think they turned out better. If you look closely enough, you'll see a small 1/72 scale civilian car on the base of this model for size reference. It's a black car; I know, poor choice of model for a decent picture. Here's the 'solid' side:

You can see I also exposed the doorknob so you could get an idea of how tall this 1/72 scale model is.

Now for the 'windowed' side:

Okay, there it is, my second Magnum Opus!

Thanks for all the helpful hints, suggestions and tips on this. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Your compliments also kept me motivated to keep going on this.

And here is my other completed model that doesn't have an appropriate Forum to post in; my Headless Horseman.

Here he is in all his glory with his latest replacement head in hand:

This guy was a lot of fun to do once I got past all the sanding and filling and sanding over and over ad nauseum! I hope you like him as well.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Duke's Completed Models ...

Post by LyleW »

Duke, you are one uber talented modeler. That rocked is almost as big as the Me-321
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Lyle! "Almost as big" as the Me-321? Trust me, it is far larger; this rocket stands five feet, four inches tall without the 2" base. If you look at the latest Works in Progress pics, you'll see the tail of my B-52 in the pic. It is quite small, and the B-52 is about the size of an Me-321.

As for being an uber modeler, I'm just a basic OOB builder. This was more a result of dogged determination and pigheaded persistence than any kind of talent. There's still some major issues on it that don't show in the pics too well, and I'm not confident in placing at contests because of that. Still, I'm going to love hearing all the amazed comments of people who see it! LOL! That right there will be worth the price of admission!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Holy Ghost Duke!

What a wonderful sight, the rocket including all the details inside it, looks just so great!
Well done, it has been a pleasure to follow the build, will miss it! :-)

But hey, the size of it is just "Lunatic"!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Kari! I agree with you on all counts. I am glad that it is finished though; it was tough doing work on this sometimes due to the sheer size of it. Yeah, the size is "Lunatic"!

Keep following along. I have a 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters to finish up as well. It's not quite the same size but it is still quite large in it's own right. I'm looking forward to being able to set the Space Shuttle next to the Saturn V when it gets done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Holey Moley... that's one big arse Saturn rocketship!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Blacksheep! Yeah, it is big!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This week I have an update for this Thread. I finally have gotten something finished here. First off are five new armor models completed today. This brings me up to 680 completed armor models now.

Let me start with a couple artillery pieces for my Italian and Russian Armies.

This first gun is a rather toy-like re-pop from Water 1815 done by Italeri for wargame armies. I got it because th4e figures looked good ion the kit and this is the only way I was going to get a heavy gun in 1/72 scale for my Italian Army. Here it is completed and ready for delivery:

I'll finish the troops up later, but this gun at least is completed.

Next, My Russian Army took delivery of a couple pieces. First was this BS-3 anti-tank gun from ACE. I had lost this model some months back and even questioned whether I had actually started it at all. Then I found it after my extensive Hobby Room Cleanup. Here it is all completed:

The second thing my Russian Army got was this T-90 tank with the welded turret. This model is from Modelcollect and has a metal hull. It went together like a dream. I'm glad to have this in my collection:

Next, my US Marines received this LAV-25. This was a Trumpeter kit that I got from my IPMS club's Distressed Kit Auction. It was "severely started" as we like to say; a pic of the contents of the box can be seen in my Maddog Manufacturing Thread. This was finished completely without instructions as they were missing in the kit when I got it:

I noticed I had a floating wheel back there. That got fixed already.

Finally, my US Army took delivery of my M-65 Atomic Annie. This is the Dragon Black Label kit and I've been working on this for awhile. This has been one of my Holy Grails and now I have it in my collection:

Today I finished up seven models. These are the two ships I was able to launch from the Maddog Manufacturing shipyards; the first ones in years!

First off, this is the old Minicraft Spruance class destroyer that I got from my IPMS club's Distressed Kit Auction some time back. It was "severely started" as we like to say; the deck decals had even been applied! Anyway, I went to work ion this and got it finished up today, christening it the USS Caron. Here it is ready for the shelf:

Right after this one left the slipways, I launched my USS Virginia. This; by the way, is another Modeler's New Years Resolution completed! The USS Virginia is now on her shakedown cruise with the USS Caron:

These are the seven models I completed today. I have the armor posted in the Armor Forums and the ships posted in the Ships too. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Comments..? I don't know where to start.

These are some great builds Duke! I like all of them. Some things that stand out for me are the nice subtle finish/weathering on your armour builds and the lovely clean builds of your ships. It's nice to see some clean ship builds for a change and I really do like those.

The only question I have is about Atomic Annie - are those blast screens over the windows or is it masking?

Looking forward to seeing more Duke!

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Great work Duke!

Love especially those two artillery guns!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Member's Gallery”