Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Post by Duke Maddog »

BlackSheep214 wrote:And coming home with more to add to your stash... :giggles:

That might just happen..... :hmm:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Thanks Blacksheep. The bench is quiet for now, but next year things will start up slowly. I'll be heading out to Ohio on the 7th of January and won't be back until the 20th. Once I'm back, I hope to start out with a bang.
No IPMS or AMPS for you this month Mark?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:Thanks Blacksheep. The bench is quiet for now, but next year things will start up slowly. I'll be heading out to Ohio on the 7th of January and won't be back until the 20th. Once I'm back, I hope to start out with a bang.
No IPMS or AMPS for you this month Mark?
No, and no St. Crispin's either. I will miss them, but I'll be having a blast with my niece and nephews so I'll still be having fun.

I'll be back in February; and if anyone is able to come to Hobby Day Friday in March; I'll be cooking steaks again.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok then. I suppose we will cross paths again in May, if my schedule rotation stays the same. Have fun on your visit.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I will if I go. New development: my brother appealed his dismissal so I should know in a day or so whether he'll be staying. If he is, the trip is off. Otherwise, I'll see you in May.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Mark, did you mention steaks? Really? Crispin's day steaks in March?

:shoutout:

Gosh, I am so shallow and apparently very hungry as well. I am amazed as usual by all of your progress work! I do have a question, I suppose it is more of a theory question, but do you ever model subjects that have seen hard use? I was thinking that bus looks like it could be an amazing canvas for weathering, but I sense that your approach is to depict the subjects you choose as though they are in relatively new operating condition?

:GM:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes indeed Bruce my friend, I did say steaks in March at Hobby Day Friday. Typically I get a mix of New York strips and top sirloins. They will be marinated overnight in my own blend of onion and garlic powders, Worcestershire sauce and red wine. It had been my tradition now for the last five years to cook steaks on Hobby Day Friday for all attendees; who are coincidentally all my best modeling friends.

I commend you on your observation of my technique. Yes, I mostly model vehicles and aircraft in near-new or slightly used condition. The bus you mentioned could be a great canvas, but it was a touring bus that was kept as clean and neat as possible, therefore I tried hard to keep it that way. Most of the other military vehicles are relatively used; but the dusting and weathering sometimes gets washed out in the pics so that they look less used than I intend. I don't do much in the way of heavily used vehicles; mostly because I have yet to discover a way to do it that does not look out of scale or over the top. In many cases, the vehicles I model aren't that heavily used anyway, or if they are; they are too well maintained in real life to be dripping with rust or flaking half their paint off. That is the case with almost all modern vehicles, and in WWII; I found that most vehicles were destroyed or pulled off the line and refurbished before becoming too beat up. Maybe someday I'll try something more beat up, but my skill set isn't refined enough for that right now. Especially when it comes to planes. In 1/72 scale; it is highly difficult for me to weather an aircraft, especially given how little I see in pictures. I simply don't know how to do it.

I hope that helps answer your questions. And I hope to see you at March Hobby Day at least, but I encourage you to come to a whole lot more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”