The Duke's Motor Pool

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke's Motor Pool

Post by Duke Maddog »

Welcome one and all to my “Motor Pool”.

Now that I have finally achieved my latest milestone of completed small scale vehicles, here are the pictures I promised you showing the entire collection. I wanted to set all these up like this to share with all my friends, take pics to record this for posterity, and mostly to be able to see how all of these look grouped together in one big group. Finally, after years of persistence and perseverance; I present to you my 700- piece small scale vehicle collection.

This collection took two trucks to transport it down to the Hall where I was going to display these for the two days of Hobby Day. I had everything packed in these boxes; here is how they all looked upon arrival at the Hall:

The first this I did was to unpack Dora since she was going to be the centerpiece of the whole collection. Then I placed all the rest of my German railroad models on the table beside her. These are all the German Railroad models I have completed:

Then the rest of the unpacking began…..

Finally, after three hours, I finished placing all my models on the tables. I grouped them by country, and the whole collection sat on four eight-foot-long tables placed side-by-side. I grouped them by country with the Germans on the back table. In a couple pics, you can see the magazine article picture of my whole collection when we first too a group shot of it several years ago. I apologize for the quality of these pics; I tried hard to make sure they were done as well as possible. Still, I think enough can be seen to enjoy the full scope of all this work.

Now for your edification, here are all 700 models set up on display:

There you have it. Enjoy!

Thanks for looking in everyone, I hope you enjoyed your tour of my "Motor Pool".
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: The Duke's Motor Pool

Post by BlackSheep214 »

700 kits?! :yikes:

Your set up looks like it's ready to play War Games. :ggun: :tank: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes my friend, this is 700 models. I built every one too.

And I did offer a challenge to a few wargamers who came in to see it. LOL! :lashed: :giggles: After all, I did set them up in battle formation: tanks to the front, APC's following, artillery a little to the back and to the side, support vehicles to the other side in reserve.

I have to admit, this felt great seeing everything grouped together on one big tabletop.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Pictures don't do justice. I wanna see it in person! :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

You're right! Pics don't do it justice. It was amazing looking at it in person. Too bad you couldn't make it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: That is impressive! It sort of reminds me of when I first arrived at Ft Polk 30 some odd years ago saw all the motor pools for the different battalions from the air while on approach to the airfield. Let's just say that a full Mech Infantry Division from the air looks a LOT like that.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! I was hoping you'd be able to swing by to see this in person. I understand though. If you had, you would have been the only AMPS member to come by; nobody else from SoCal AMPS did. At least nine or ten IPMSOC guys came by. Still, I was thrilled to have these all set up. Seeing them like this was a major thrill. That's cool that an entire Mech Division looks like this; maybe I have finally completed a division's worth of vehicles! Sweet!

Thanks again Carlos! I truly appreciate your comments.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, I really wish that I had the time to swing by. I swear that I've been the one legged man in an ass kicking contest since before the holidays. There is never enough time in the day for everything that seems to come up. This weekend my modeling time was enough to fill and sand one hole and scribe some lost panel lines... But next weekend with all the rain due in, I ought to be able to knuckle down a bit and get in some bench time.

Tell ya what, when you get to 800, I have to see that. But 700 is pretty wow!!!

But yes, my full Mech Division, back in the day, had hundreds of AFVs, plus support vehicles. Three Mech Infantry Battalions (M113), three Tank Batalions (M60A1), three Medium Atillery Battalions (M109A2), one Heavy Artillery Battalion (M110 or later MLRS), one Engineer Battalion, one Air Defense Artillery Battalion (Vulcan and Chapparal tracks), and one Armored Cav Squadron. Plus a round out Brigade of National Guard. Needless to say, it was an impressive sight to see when all on the move.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, good to know. I know what it is like being that busy; I've been there. I do hope you get more time at the bench next week. Your work is well worth the wait. Nice breakdown of your Mech division. I would love to have half of those vehicles in my collection if only someone released them in 1/72 scale. Maybe someday. Take care of yourself and be sure to stay in touch.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Unbelievable... just unbelievable! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Member's Gallery”