The Duke's 2017 Year in Review

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: The Duke's 2017 Year in Review

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! I appreciate the compliments. I first met Hippy Ed back on the old LEM. Then I followed him to Modeler's Alliance. I had started that Viggie as a dual build with him just before he passed, so it turned into a tribute build right after. I would have done it anyway.

Thanks again Stuart!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

No worries - He was a great guy. When I finally get around to building Tamiya's SAS Jeep it'll be in part a tribute to him and his love of family history.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I still have no idea what to write, Duke! There is such diversity on display here: so many fascinating subjects, all so deftly handled by you, I am amazed. You and Carlos both have such passion for vintage or classic plastic—and kits from the far corners of modeling’s production lines. I was amazed by the Star Destroyer. I really considered building this but I was overthinking all of the details. I knew you would showcase what was best about the kit, and you did. I also found myself thinking about jets—you and Carlos have this effect—and nearly dropped thirty bucks on an Eduard 1:48 Hasegawa rebox because of your year in review. I know that excited me the most about meeting you: your passion. Never underestimate passion, and if it is welded to perseverance, as it is in your case, Katie bar the door! What a rumpus you have made with choices as well. Such imagination!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce what a fabulous reply and well worth the wait! I guess I do have a passion for the hobby; I've had it for so long it just seems natural. I do hope that you can come to a Hobby Day on Friday or Saturday someday so we can sit and build our models side by side. Sharing my passion in person is a thrill for me and Hobby Days has been known to motivate others and help them finish more models each year; not to mention help them improve. Imagine running into an issue and being able to turn to the guy next to you and ask for their ideas/suggestions/perspective?

As for the variety, it sure helps to keep everything I'm working on fresh. I rarely get burned out on anything due to my ability to put it aside and build something totally unrelated to 'cleanse the pallet'.

Thanks again Bruce! I think I'm going to start printing and framing your replies just for those days when I feel most down.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I look forward to meeting you, too, Mark. I learn so much from your process as well so on days when I feel nothing is working right, I read your modeling sections to feel how good it is for us all to be candid and open to be creative. This is very healing for me. I must have read progress reports on your Boeing many many times. What I was trying to unlearn within me is stopping when a model build grows difficult. You know when to set the build aside then move on to another. I need that ability.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

If you don’t go back to those builds sidelines for speed bumps, and just start on another project, pretty soon you’ll have a dozen or two in that condition... they multiply like rabbits!

Been there, done that.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”