Maddog Manufacturing 2018 Production

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Maddog Manufacturing 2018 Production

Post by Duke Maddog »

After an interesting start to the New Year, I finally managed to get some bench time; mostly thanks to my monthly St. Crispin's Irregulars Hobby Day. Here is where I am now.

I finally completed my decals on the F-102 Delta Dagger. Now I can dullcoat this and complete the final details:

Next I finished all the crazy stencils on the F-15E Strike Eagle. Now I can finish the rest of the decals and move forward on this:

Next I started a helicopter that was given to me by a friend and fellow IPMS member. He knew I had wanted this helicopter and he got it for me. This is the EH-101 Merlin Royal Navy bird. I was so excited about building this, I had almost forgotten to take pics! Here is the first pic I took, showing the entire interior assembled together:

Later I dry-fit this inside the fuselage to see how it fit. I was quite amazed at how well this fell together:

Finally, here's a shot of all the fuselage components sitting together:

One thing I like about this is that they give you an operational hinge on the tail to fold it. They also make the main rotors foldable too!

Moving on, I also started one of my Christmas presents, the Mitsubishi F-2A. I started with the cockpit of course. It's a very simple affair:

I then added all the main gear well walls and such, as well as the main intake scoop on the front of the lower fuselage:

I had also assembled all the missiles and drop tanks for this too, but I didn't shoot pics of them.

Moving on to my armor, I was able to accomplish the following work....

Here is where I was with my USAAF resupply set. I had finished dullcoating these after applying the decals:

Later on, I added the cab tops and the wheels to all of these:

After this, I tried to complete all of them with the final details and such, but every time I tried to move forward; something broke off. When I fixed that, something else broke off. I spent two weeks re-fixing broken things before I finally got this whole set finished. Finished pics to be posted soon.

Moving on, I finally installed the tracks on the Japanese Type 89 Late:

After that, I painted the tracks a flat black; added the tools, the machine guns, and a couple small roadwheels that had fallen off. Then I added the decals before dullcoating this little beastie:

Due to the confusion many people have had thinking that the white stars are American markings; I've decided to add a couple small Japanese flags to the sides of this tank behind the hull numbers so people won't question why a Japanese tank has US markings. It may not be accurate, but at least it will help people understand it is a Japanese tank. You will see them in the completed pics of this tank; which will hopefully get done in a couple more days.

Finally, I took the time to complete the photo-etch on the Russian T-80U that I'd started and set aside some time back. Here it is with most of the photo-etch on it:

Later on when all that was dry, I went back and added the two flaps on the front of this tank, as well as touched up a few other areas:

Now to get this primed and ready for paint. I believe I'll be brush painting this the whole time as I'm concerned that the Silly Putty masking will remove some of this photo etch; especially the flaps on the turret and the two front flaps under the front of the hull. After all this time and effort, I don't want to take any chances.

Well, that is my small update for now; hopefully it is the first of many to come. Stay tuned for more and thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2018 Production

Post by KSaarni »

Again so big amount of interesting projects!

I have lifted my hat many times before and do it again; incredible multi-tasking, so many different subjects and so good looking.

Some picks:

- Very interesting camo for the Dagger ! Have never seen such, just the "common" light grey (or white) version
- The Merlin looks really tasty (and big).
- USAAF resupply, very very nice paintwork !
- The Japanese Type 89, difficult to believe it is "just" a 1/72 scale, very sharp details! And indeed, confusing with the white star..
- The T-80, if I would not know that you build 1/72 scale, I would have definitely thought this was a 1/35 scale tank... that PE...

All in all Duke, an interesting 2018 in you factory!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote:Again so big amount of interesting projects!

I have lifted my hat many times before and do it again; incredible multi-tasking, so many different subjects and so good looking.

Some picks:

- Very interesting camo for the Dagger ! Have never seen such, just the "common" light grey (or white) version
- The Merlin looks really tasty (and big).
- USAAF resupply, very very nice paintwork !
- The Japanese Type 89, difficult to believe it is "just" a 1/72 scale, very sharp details! And indeed, confusing with the white star..
- The T-80, if I would not know that you build 1/72 scale, I would have definitely thought this was a 1/35 scale tank... that PE...

All in all Duke, an interesting 2018 in you factory!

- Kari
:P1:

Great stuff Mark! I’m really liking the the Deuce and the Type 89.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very lovely work as always Duke!

Just out of interest - What dull coat do you use?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Kari! I appreciate the awesome reply. Several Daggers were painted that way and sent to Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War for 'evaluation'. It was not every effective, but it sure does look good in that camo pattern. Ever since I first found out that some were painted that way, I've always wanted to do one in those colors. Meng gave me the opportunity.

The Merlin is quite big, and the detail is incredible! Very tasty indeed!

There is quite a bit of detail on that Japanese tank; amazing amount given that the model is about an inch and a half long (3.81cm) and yeah; I will be adding that Japanese flag soon, even though it ain't accurate.

And the T-80, yeah, Modelcollect sure does make some fantastically detailed models which are easily mistaken for 1/35 scale in pictures....

Thanks Carlos. Hopefully in a few days those two will be finished!

Thanks Stuart, glad you like them all. My dullcoat is the Testor's brand that I airbrush on to my models. It has been the best and most consistent dullcoat so far.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Duke Maddog wrote:Thanks Kari! I appreciate the awesome reply. Several Daggers were painted that way and sent to Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War for 'evaluation'. It was not every effective, but it sure does look good in that camo pattern. Ever since I first found out that some were painted that way, I've always wanted to do one in those colors.
Thanks for the information, for some reason eveything you tell about the Daggers history in Vietnam was has been a black hole or an empty spot in my knowledge until now. It really looks good in that camo!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!! :shoutout: I've wanted the Merlin too. Maybe one day.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Kari. Glad I could help.

Thanks Medic. It is a fun helicopter to build. I hope you get one. One day I'd also love to pick up the Skyfall one....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, here's another small update, thanks to the time had yesterday to work on models. I'll start again with my aircraft.

The F-102 has been coming along. After dullcoating this plane once the decals dried, I peeled the masking off the windows. It took a bit of cleanup afterward to make the canopy look well enough:

After doing that I had also started the missile racks underneath. But first, I shot some white on the AIM-4 Falcons and set them aside to dry while I worked on the rest of the plane:

As mentioned, I started the missile racks in the weapon's bay first, adding the lowered racks to the interior:

Once they had dried enough, I completed the painting of the interior of the weapons bay as well as the landing gear bays:

After a break and after checking the missiles to see if they were dry enough; I masked off the forward parts of the Falcons and painted the rear section red:

While those were drying, I added the main landing gear as well as the gear doors and weapons bay doors:

Next came the nose gear and the wheels. I cemented them in place once the gear doors and main landing gear were dry enough:

Finally, after adding a little more white to the missile fins, I cemented the AIM-4 Falcons in place on the launch racks:

After a bit of touch up and final parts additions, this bird will be finished. I am hoping to have it finished today.

On one of those breaks working on the Dagger, I also got the last decals on the F-15E Strike Eagle. Now I can finally finish this bird too:

Finally, on my armor; I focused on the T-80U since it was so close to being finished. I first shot a base coat of green on this with the airbrush; then I used my Sotar to freehand the brown pattern over it:

Later on, I sharpened up the edges using a brush and then added the little black squiggles to complete the pattern:

Once that was sufficiently dry, I shot a glosscoat on the turret and added the decals:

You can see the Solvaset still has to work to pull those decals down. Now all I have to do is dullcoat this again and finish the final assembly and weathering. I hope to finish this today as well.

That's it for now; thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice work on those Mark. The Deuce is oh so close to the finish line!!! That’s always a great feeling and motivator.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”