Modelcrazy's bench production 2022

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Modelcrazy's bench production 2021

Post by Duke Maddog »

Brilliant job Steve! That is an amazing model! I think Modelsvit is a pretty good company putting out excellent kits, at least when it comes to the smaller ones. My only experience with Modelsvit to date is the Antonov and that was pretty short run on the plastic parts.

I love that camouflage pattern; you've made an exceptionally attractive plane!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks you Mark,
I'm starting on the Arma Hobbies Hurricane Mk.I, then I need to either complete the F-35, USS Freedom or start on the Sunderland to complete this years group build kits. Then I can get back to my other builds waiting in wings half built.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Modelcrazy wrote: Image
That is an outstanding paintjob on this 1/72 (!) kit. Also the pictures you took of it are splendid.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Torbin. I particularly like that one as well.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I've been working on the Hurri and the MiG 27. I finally received the Akan paint from Russia and finished the three tone camo scheme. I just need to paint the underside, attach the gear, weapons, drop tank and such.

I've been looking into the history of this Hurri RF R. Flown by Sergeant Josef František DFM, a Czech pilot in a Polish squadron.

He was somewhat ill disciplined when it came to orders and would often leave the squadron on lone sorties after first contact with the enemy. He was the highest scoring ace of the Battle o Britain with 17 kills. He was lost on 8 October 1940 in Ewell, Surrey during a landing approach after a patrol. Some say he was doing acrobatic maneuvers to impress a girlfriend or maybe combat fatigue.
"For God's sake, Jamie, give your brain a chance." BOB movie 1969

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

The camo painting of the Mig-27 looks very good.

Are you happy with the Akan paints ? At least the results seems to be outstanding!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I could have told you to order Akan paints in the states through Linden Hill Imports. I think he's located in N.Y. State or Pennsylvania.

https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store ... cks.html#/
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Kari... I have a couple bottles of Akan paints in my stash. Old Tire Black and Grey Steel. Both brush on beautifully. Haven't used my airbrush on them yet.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Tom, interesting, always open to try some new paints.
I took a quick look around my regular Local / internet hobby shops, but seems not to be so easy to find.. :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Tom, I got them for eBay which is the only place I could find them. Of course I wasn't looking too hard but I did want a cold war set.
Kari, They are a little thick but I thin them slightly, say 4 to 1 with Vallejo thinner. They spray just fine. In fact as an experiment, I added some Vallejo white and that worked great as well. I did notice that my Scotch blue tape didn't want to stick to it but the Tamiya tape did just fine :hmm: I may not have let it dry enough but I did give it 24 hours.

Anyway to answer your question, yes, I like them. They will be my go to for Russian colors. I prefer other paints for everything else.

I painted the underside of the MiG and added some touch up as well as adding other areas such as dark grey to the retractable underside fin, engine intake ring and so forth. I also masked and sprayed the heat area at the tail. But no picture, it really doesn't look too different at this time. next will be adding the gear, doors and then gloss coat for the decals and weathering. coming to the finish line. I know the MiG 23 and 27 are suppose to be dogs but I've always liked their look. I have an Academy MiG 23 kit in the stash that I look forward to building someday.

I also worked on the Hurri. I painted my usual black basing and then added the dark brown dark green camo. I'm using Mission Models again and really like them. they dry fast and I can mask again for the second color in about 2 hours. So here's where that one is. One of the gear struts broke off (I'm wasn't surprised) so I'll fix it with a little bracing wire inserted into the plastic for added strength. I'll probably also mount it so that'll help the stability. I've been watching a Battle of Britain documentary on the War Stories YouTube channel and looking at the weathering on the Hurri. Some of the scenes are from cut scenes of the Battle of Britain movie but there are some nice views of Hurricanes and Spits. So I have both the green and brown painted on and will be working on the underside when I get a chance.
We own one car (the nice one), two mid 2000s small SUVs and a 84 Dodge Ram. Well the AC went out on both of the SUV's and one of them (my wife's) has serious steering issues. The truck now leaks coolant after it's been shut down for several minuets. The only car that works is the 2016 Fusion (which the wife doesn't like to drive). Since I started life as a mechanic and can do the work saving several thousands of dollars (I'm an electronics tech now). I have several vehicles I need to get back on the road. Luckily my wife works from home so she can use the leaking Dodge if necessary :whistle:
I pulled the dash and HVAC box out of one of the SUVs and am replacing the heater core, evaporator, dryer and liquid line so I can transfuse the Freon from the other SUV to the fixed one. Then do the same thing to the other SUV as well. While I have the HVAC box out I'll clean it out and disinfect it to get that horrid mold smell out :shutup: It's still quite hot here so that was not a lot of fun. I'll work on the builds when I'm waiting for parts or am too hot to stay outside. This is after my normal workday sitting in my cube at my new job.
My point of this long winded uninteresting story is that things will be moving slow for the next couple of weeks :wink:

So here is the Hurri so far.

PS.
I'm planning on going to the 2022 Nats in Omaha next year and have decided to build the 1/350 Aoshima IJN Takao. I already had a lot of PE for it so all I'll need is maybe some guns and handholds

Return to “Member's Gallery”