Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
LyleW
Admin

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by LyleW »

So, what did you do after lunch? My goodness, that Anatov I big...even for big it is big. Nose Kobe is looking good, too on the 400. You should make up a decal and name her “Nose Job”! The rest is mind numbing to me, not that it takes a lot to numb my mind. I can’t keep track of 2 or 3 at at a time. All well done.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

That 124 is ridiculously big, I mean 1/72 Gato big (5 feet of sub). That'll look so cool on display though.
You just have a production line there. I guess I do to but I only work on one thing for a day or two then something else for a few days and so on. I can't keep several projects going simontainsly. I'm not that smart.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! That's a lot of work! They all look great!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice work on the Cheiftains Mark. You almost have a platoon of them now. Cake and ice cream sounds good... does it come with rum punch? :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Lyle! After lunch I took a nap. All that work was tiring! :giggles: :lashed: Yeah, that Antonov is big. I can't tell you how many times I've "clunked" it against something while trying to maneuver it around to do something else on it. Thanks for the compliments on the nose of the A-400. It still does need sanding smooth. I kinda like that idea for a "nose job" decal. I just don't have the resources to do such a thing. Maybe I can hand paint a Jimmy Durante-style nose on the side and hand letter the words. Hmmm.... :hmm: As for numbing your mind, I also get numbed quite easily so I know how you feel. Happens to me all the time when I look at John Kim's work and Bruce's work and Modelcrazy's work...

Modelcrazy, thanks! You ain't kidding about the size of that Big Bird. See my comment above about "clunking" it. I do like having a production line going too. I hate having to wait for something to dry before moving on with it; I just want to keep going. The simplest thing to do is to start or work on something else. Sometimes when I have a ton of backlogged projects it can get overwhelming but just focusing on a few at a time helps me get back in the groove. And I disagree with you not being that smart: your work shows otherwise; I would never be able to think my way through many of the issues you face with your work.

Thanks Medic! I was so thrilled to get this much done.

Thanks Carlos! I would love to complete a platoon of them but I need to wait to see if Takom comes out with another Mark. And yes, rum punch all around! I don't skimp on anything! :popcorn:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow Mark - though break on those heavies - they really are being a pain. You're doing a good job of rebuilding that nose on the A400.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! While I can't seem to catch a break on those big birds, I'm still plugging along on them.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This has been a pretty great week, especially since I got to spend so much time building at Hobby Day. Almost all the model acquisitions I posted were also gotten at Hobby Day. This is all armor too this time.

First up is my 1/35th scale Patton that I'm building for the SoCal AMPS Group Build. All I did was to apply the decals, starting with the front of the hull:

After that I did the turret decals:

Next were the decals on the side. This is where I nearly lost it. With the exception of the word "Army" every single letter and number was individually printed... even the stinkin' dots that go behind the 'U' and the 'S'!! WHAT?!!! :boom: :hissy: Seriously, why was it so hard to print them as one big decal? Well, because of that, these are not that that straight and I don't care:

Here is this big beastie all decaled up and ready for the dullcoat, weathering, wheels and tracks:

I did this up as a tank from the 1st of the 69th Armor in honor of a friend of mine who served in that unit and fought at the battle of Ben Het.

Oh man, enough of that! After that I was ready for something simple.

The next thing I did was to finally cement down the cab roof. After that I added a dark brown wash to the D-9 Dozer, and then a black wash to the grilles on it:

It doesn't show well in that pic, but it is there. Yes, I have a bit of touch up painting to do. I'll do that after I dullcoat it.

Next up, I figured if I was going to paint my M-109A6; then I might as well build my M-109A2 and paint it at the same time. I pulled it out and started on it by building the basic hull:

Next I added all the detail parts and the wheels and sprockets:

The turret was next. After I built it and added the gun I placed it on the hull:

Once I get the tracks on that, I'll be able to paint it with my M-109A6. Speaking of the -A6, here they are together:

Next I decided to move forward on my M-32. It was time to do the running gear. For a UM kit, this went better than I expected:

Then I added a photo-etch strip of rivets to the front of the upper hull and dry-fit it to the lower hull to see what adjustments I would need to make. Naturally, it disappeared never to be found again:

Oh well, I then checked the positioning of the mine roller attachment now that I had this up on wheels:

Looking pretty good. Time to set that aside until I can anneal the P/E and add it to the running gear...

That completes what I had going on before Hobby Day, some of that work above was done there too. By that time my Birthday order was in and I took thirty minutes trying to decide what to start first.....

The Master Box Mk I Female tank looked the easiest and since I'd never built a Master Box kit before, I started on that. Despite a slight bit of warpage on the bottom hull floor; this went together very fast and very well. I stopped here before doing the sponsons:

Yeah, that was about five minutes of work....

I love it!

The French APC looked the next simplest to at least start, so I built up the basic hull:

After that, I set that aside to dry and moved on to start the Israeli Nagmashot APC:

I built up the basic hull and added the top pyramid to it to test the fit:

Looked okay, but I needed to do some sanding to make it fit better. Once that was done, I fit that into place. Then I felt it looked too funny so I added the fenders to the sides:

That looks better now. The final model I started was the Armory M-41 Walker Bulldog. Again, the basic hull was assembled first:

Then I did the turret. That was more fiddly than I thought it would be:

Gonna take a bit of cleanup on that turret. After that, I tried to add it to the hull and found that the turret ring was either too thick, or the bar along the bottom was not positioned well to allow the turret to turn because it wouldn't go on. After some careful shaving and finagling, I got it to go on like it's supposed to.

Wow, that turret looks big on that. It'll fall into proportion once I get everything else on.

And that is where I finished for the week. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Are you sure you got the right turret there Duke? :shocked:
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh the M41 was a perfect example of getting the most bang for the buck in a light tank. The armor was enough for small arms heavy machine guns, and near artillery. The main gun was a high velocity 76mm gun. In ARVN hands it proved capable of defeating NVA T-54/55 MBTs in battle, something normally not expected of a light tank. Certainly the best light tank to come out of the US, and equal to if not superior to any other in the world.

But yes, it had a large turret for the basic hull. Once the fenders are added with their stowage boxes it will look far more proportional.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”