Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work Duke! Sucks about the A400 nose. I've done that before too with a Hobby Boss Rafale. I added Tamiya putty to hold the weight in the nose. The putty melted the entire nose.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mark, I did that with CA on my F-7 Tigercat....and on the Victor. Glob of Miliput, and sanding. Tedious, but not hard.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Sounds good guys, thanks!

Lyle, I plan on doing that here too, in addition, someone suggested adding sprue parts to the nose as a framework for the putty to grab. I think the hardest part will be getting the nose shaped properly so that it looks accurate.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Give it a Klinger schnozz!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LOL! That was one big honker wasn't it?

No, unless they put one on the real aircraft, that's not going to happen.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This has been one of those one-step-forward/two-steps-back kinda weeks. That is why I've only done this much.

I'll start with the 1/35th scale M-48 Patton I'm doing for the SoCal AMPS Group Build. This actually went pretty well; probably the only thing that went well this week. To start with, I added all the extra detail parts to the upper hull that I'd left off before. Things like headlight, lifting hooks and gas caps for instance:

Of course, this didn't all go so pristine; when I went to add the vision blocks to the driver's hatch, I found that one was either missing or never molded. There's supposed to be three as seen on the instruction sheet to the left. You can see I only have two. I never handled this sprue before so I have no idea where the third one went:

So now, I will only put on the center one and see what I can do about the other two. Until then, I'm moving forward on this.

I did have all the clear parts for the turret, so I added them all along with the rest of the detail parts:

I then started on the big searchlight:

I'm gonna paint the interior before adding more and closing it up with the clear panel it comes with.

That's as far as I got with that so far. Later, I started another little model for a Group Build on Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums. This is my M-32 started. I did the lower hull first:

After that, I didn't want to deal with the running gear so I skipped ahead and started the mine rolling assembly. What a battle this turned out to be! After an hour and a half of fighting this thing, I finally got the following result:

Later I built the turret and some of the parts for the lower hull. This is a mock up of all I'd done on this so far:

I'd had enough of that so I moved on, hoping to make some progress on some of my aircraft. The A-400 was bothering me so I started the sprue framework on the nose suggested by one other friend:

Of course, that caused a front wheel to come off:

So I tried to glue it back on. It wouldn't glue on straight! So, I drilled out the stem, destroying it in the process of course, Then I added a piece of wire to the broken wheel:

The axles ain't straight, but the wheel is even with the unbroken one, so this is DONE!

While doing that, I found a couple other areas where the spray 77 made the plastic soft and caused it to sink/ Mr. Surfacer 500 liberally applied filled those areas to be sanded after it dries sufficiently:

Okay, that was enough of that since it was really torquing me off. I decided to try and do something on my An-124. First, I taped off the underside, nose and tail where it is supposed to remain grey:

I then took it outside to shoot the white topside:

Looks good doesn't it? Yeah, I thought so too until I looked closer before glossing it.

What you don't see in those pics are several smudges, patches of lint, extreme rough spots, and imperfections in the white paint, certainly not smooth or clean enough to shoot a gloss clear on it. That pic was shot three days ago. Since then, I've been sanding, washing, respraying, wiping, sanding re-spraying at least another nine times or more. Still ain't right.

In between all that, I also taped off the tips of the wings and horizontal tail surfaces and painted them red:

After that, it was time to paint the metallic parts of the engines. I masked off the front of both wings with the Tamiya flexible tape and on one of them, I brush painted an aluminum color on the edges and interior of the front of the engine:

Kinda hard to see in that pic, but I did it. I then painted the tail cones a dark metallic color and drybrushed with a steel:

Not too thrilled with that drybrush, so I'll be redoing those rear cones. I also saw a lot of issues with the grey paint on the wings again. Gonna have to re-mask and re-shoot these grey and gloss coat again. Meanwhile, I pulled down the other wing and started to paint it too:

Naturally, as always, one engine had to break off again! I can never move ahead on this:

Yes, that was JBWeld! It has since been glued back on. That is gonna have to be re-shot in grey again too. Enough of all these hassles!

By this time I was thoroughly fed up! I looked through my stash for some thing simple, easy and not needing paint so I could lose myself in just building. I found a kit I'd started some time ago: my Space 1999 Mk.IX Hawk. I had done some simple sub assemblies so I thought it was time to start putting it all together. I started by adding the engine cones to the main engine:

Later I assembled the rest of the model, losing myself in the build just like I wanted:

Here it is mocked up with the main engine:

I gotta paint that main engine housing orange before I can glue it to the rest of the model.

That seemed like a great place to end this disappointing week of model building. I hope you enjoyed this latest tour.

Thanks all for riding along, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mark, while I appreciate you having these issues to make me feel better, wow...that was a rough session! Proud of you for staying with it!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Damn I hate when things like that happen. We all have them Duke. Keep plugging away at it!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Lyle! I appreciate that. I do try to keep your spirits up, but man, I can do without that kind of week for a while! Thank you again Lyle!

Thanks Medic! Yeah, I do too. I was so furious by the time I started the Hawk; I'm surprised I didn't smash something. At least the Hawk brought me back down. Now to paint that white; here we go again..... :headslap:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke! Duke! Duke!

Your exploits are heroic. I read and feasted upon every word. Since I too use the great outdoors as my spray booth I am quite familiar with hitchhikers: strands of hair, flecks of dirt, even stray leaves have casually attached themselves to my spray jobs as I wait for the paint to de-gas. What can I say? Truthfully I enjoyed every moment of your adventures! Isn’t this what model building is about at its essence? You were in the heady throes of creation with glues, saws, drills, paints... your photos describe the major sequences, dibs and dabs, fiddly bits, all of the process!

I have been tempted sorely tempted by the 1/72 Eagle. I have found myself wanting to build that, and I have yet to finish the first season of the show. I did enjoy Ian McShane’s bravura acting as he goes utterly bonkers episode! What fun!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Member's Gallery”