Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by Duke Maddog »

Welcome back to the plant everyone!

Thanks to Hobby Day I got a great amount of work done so all aboard as we head over to the hanger first.

I was determined to make some more progress on my A-400 because I'm getting tired of that thing cluttering up my workbench. I shot some grey over the fuselage to see how well the nose and all looks; and then hit it with a glosscoat for decals:

I'm pretty pleased with the way the nose turned out.

Next I shot the wings with the grey and gloss to even this up:

After that, I had the urge to mock this up. I dry-fit the tail and wings to this to see how big and bulky it is:

Thinking about how I'm going to proceed on this plane, I'm planning on removing the tail and decaling it. Then I'll cement the wings in place. When they dry, I'll fix and/or sand the seams around the wing-fuselage joint and then re-paint it with the grey and gloss. After that I'll add the decals; seal them and then add the tail to finish this Big Bird up.

As for the other Big Bird (Antonov) I'm still re-touching the paint on it. Hopefully I'll be able to make progress on it soon.

After that, I wanted to start something simple and nostalgic. That's when I found the bagged Frog kit of the Swedish Vampire. Perfect!

I started with the "cockpit":

Yes, I will be painting that guy.

Later I cemented him into one half of the fuselage to see where and how much weight to add to the nose:

The white is the Gator Grip Glue I used on the flattened bullet fishing weights.

After that, I cemented the fuselage together, added the wings, booms and tail; used Vallejo acrylic putty to fill the seams and sanded the joints:

Just need to paint the pilot, mask and add the canopy and I'll be able to paint this little bird.

Next I went looking for something different to build. What can be more different than a helicopter? I found my little Japanese OH-1 Observation helicopter AKA "Ninja" and started on the cockpit:

And that's as far as I got on that because I need to paint that interior. Then I pulled out my Christmas present from my sister: the Russian Kamov Ka-29 helicopter. Started the cockpit on that too:

Next I did the main cabin interior, seen here behind the cockpit:

In order to make sure the upright bulkheads lined up properly, I added these sub-assemblies to one of the fuselage halves to allow them to dry in the proper position:

That rear bulkhead was adjusted after that pic was taken...

Later I painted the whole interior:

Kinda bland; only two colors, black and blue!

As the paint dried, I assembled the main rotor hub:

That looks a lot more complicated than it is.

That is all I have on my aircraft so we'll continue on to my vehicle manufacturing.

I painted the interior of the searchlight on my 1/35th scale Patton tank:

Later I'll be mounting that to the turret behind it and then add the final parts to finish it off.

Since I had cleared the desk of almost every small scale armor model in progress; it was time to start some more. Since I had built a Centurion; I decided that I should just go ahead and build al the rest of the ACE Centurions I had in the stash.

First Centurion up was the British Centurion Mk.5 that will be done up as a Berlin Brigade tank. I started by assembling the lower hull:

I continued by adding the roadwheels and suspension bogies:

Later I added all the upper hull plates and assembled the turret:

The next Centurion I started was the Australian Centurion Mk.5/1 Long Range. I assembled the lower hull with bogies and wheels; and then did the rear external add-on fuel tank. That is the little box behind the lower hull:

The final Centurion variant was a one-off test vehicle the British built to counter the JS Stalin class of tanks. It is labeled the FV-4005. The lower hull was assembled just like the other two:

Then I built the big boxy turret:

This thing carries a 7.2inch howitzer on it; that is why they needed such a turret.

I placed the turret on the lower hull even though I hadn't added the top plates to it. And yes, it does come with a recoil spade:

There it is; the British KV-2!

Moving on, it was time to start something else. I'd been wanting to start the Italian Centauro B1T, so that one came out next. I built the lower hull:

Then the upper hull was assembled:

Then I went to build the turret for this, but remembered the difficult time I had with the hull/turret fit on my original Centauro. So, I test fit the lower turret plate to the hull and found I needed to remove that raised ring on the upper hull:

Then I had to widen the hole a bit, as well as thin the edges:

There! Now it fits AND turns smoothly:

Okay, now I could assemble the basic turret:

Then I looked at the main gun and found that the usual ACE issue of sink marks on the barrels was exhibited here so I filled that with Mr. Surfacer again:

At least that one was not quite as bad as the previous gun on the Centurion Sho't...

After that I started another wheeled vehicle, this time a V-150 with a 20mm gun. I'm going to do this one as the Cadillac Gage Canadian car. I assembled the lower hull first:

Then I built the diminutive turret:

That was as far as I got with that. There is an interior that goes in there that I'll be adding later, even though it won't be seen once the model is built.

I'll know it's in there!

After all those rough ACE kits; it was time to start something a lot more simple and easy to build. I pulled out my recently-acquired Japanese Type 96 APCs and started the Type A one first.

These kits are the Tamiya of Braille Scale!

These models allow you to have steerable wheels in the front. They give you the parts to not only make the wheels turn, but to turn consecutively using this type of system:

That gets covered by the bottom plate that also holds the main wheel hubs in place.

They also give a somewhat rudimentary interior:

The rear hatch also opens and closes:

Then I built the upper hull, adding the hatches and other parts. The mini turret on top is just dry-fit now. Check out the fit; that top is just sitting on top of the vehicle:

I then built the Type B APC, doing all the same things as I did with the Type A version. This one has a machine gun (Ma Deuce) instead of a 40mm grenade launcher like the Type A. I also left the main driver's hatch off because I'll be showing it open. Later you'll see the difference on that:

The Type B model comes with troops from the Rapid Reaction Force that these Type B vehicles are assigned to. It even has a 120mm mortar with it. I had to assemble them all:

After I took that pic, I noticed a second sprue with the parts for three more soldiers so I built them afterward.

And that completes this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing. I hope you enjoyed it.

As always, comments are welcome; thanks for coming in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh Duke! What a good amount of different projects ongoing!

But that Airbus A-400,
:wow: :wow: :wow:
It's huge!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: Looks like you had a very productive weekend at Hobby Day Mark! Great recovery on the A-400! From the photos, if you did not know of the nose setback, you would never guess it now. You can add auto body repair work to your resumé. :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

They look great Mark, much going on.
I agree, that Airbus is big.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

My, you’ve been a busy lad! The A400 looks really good. Well, it all does.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow.. that A 400 is a big bird. You've been busy, Mark.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote::hmm: Looks like you had a very productive weekend at Hobby Day Mark! Great recovery on the A-400! From the photos, if you did not know of the nose setback, you would never guess it now. You can add auto body repair work to your resumé. :wink:
:that: The A400 repair is incredible!! You can't even tell.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

What a fun day you had! Can't wait to see the airbus - I have a thing for airliners. Is there anything left in 1/72 military vehicles you haven't built? :giggles:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Kari! I like to keep a great variety going; it keeps everything fresh.

Thank you Carlos! When I sprayed that primer over the nose and saw how smooth it turned out I was extremely surprised. I just might have to add that to my resume after all.

Thank you Steve! Glad to see your compliments.

Thank you Lyle! That is one reason I love going to Hobby Days; I always manage to get a lot of progress done. Sometimes I get more done in those two days than I do in a week at home.

Thank you Blacksheep! The A-400 is a big one, but still small when compared to my Antonov. I think I'll get a pic of the two fuselages side by side just for fun!

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I was amazed at how that nose looked after priming and painting. Maybe I should print that pic of the caved in nose and place it next to my model in the next contest... :hmm:

Thank you John! Yes, Hobby Days are always fun and very productive! I just wish more people could experience this kind of fun and productivity at our Hobby Days. I'm hoping to finish the A-400 soon. unless something else happens again.... :headbang:

And to answer your question about whether there are any Braille Scale vehicles I haven't built; yes, there is actually a pretty lengthy list of them; mostly because they haven't been released by any manufacturer. The rest I can't seem to get through any of the distributors I frequently look in on; either because they are not in stock, haven't been released yet, or I'm out of money and unable to afford them.

If you want me to list them, just say so and I will. :lashed:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great Scott, Mark! What a beautiful group of kits! I sincerely appreciate your photos. There are so many details at scale that are part of each project!!! Viewing a shot of the underside is a huge help! I still do not know what a “Ma Deuce” is, hahaha. I’ll have to look this up later. Makes me wonder if there is a whole family of Deuces out there—Ma, Pa, Sis and Junior? Congratulations on the Airbus! Looks to me as though you solved how to finish the decals. Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Member's Gallery”