Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by KSaarni »

Modelcrazy wrote:I lose pieces if I try to do that many at one time. The most I can keep up with is three. After that I lose parts and forget what I was doing
That is very much true, same tend to happen to me. And it's not even the carpet monster that is the guilty, it's the notorius, not so know desk monster that appears when 3 or more 3 kits are built! :giggles:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ametutes. Rank ametures. I forget where I am at on a build and lose stuff with just one going!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Modelcrazy wrote:I lose pieces if I try to do that many at one time. The most I can keep up with is three. After that I lose parts and forget what I was doing

LOL! MC, Kari and Lyle, I got you all beat: Sometimes I lose whole sprues and decal sheets! :headslap: :bag:

I still keep multiples going though.... Gotta do something while I'm waiting for the carpet monster to spit parts, decals sheets and sprues back up!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Well I lost my entire instruction sheet for my new ship build :headslap: . It could be anywhere but I'll look to see if I can find one online that I can download.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yep! Been there done that too! :bag: :lashed:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Found it, well downloaded it from Hobbysearch. :whistle:
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work on all the builds Duke! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Mike! I hope to update this next week once I get everything from Vegas sorted and some space on the bench.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, here it is about three weeks after the Nationals. After coming back, I'd been super busy and so was only able to build a little here and there. Then Hobby Day came, and I was able to really move forward. This will be a long tour so please forgive me if it gets too boring. I do have a lot to show.

Now let’s get to it. All aboard the trams for this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing. We’ll begin in the Aircraft Hanger.
At the Nationals, I picked up the FROG Southern Cross trimotor and I’ve been wanting to start it since bringing it home. First chance I got I popped it open. Naturally, I started with the “cockpit”.

Then I built the wing. It is fatter than I expected! Here it is on the original box:

I then painted the crew and closed them up inside the fuselage:

Just for fun I then dry-fit the wing on the fuselage. It looks like it’s crushing the fuselage:

I’ll keep them apart until I finish painting the wing and fuselage.

Moving on to the next one. I painted the interior of the Norseman, including the pilots:

Here is what the interior looks like inside the fuselage:

Before closing it up, I added the center top window and started masking some of the windows and windscreen:

I then closed it up, filled and sanded it down and then added the wings and tail:

Next came the basic float assembly. This was a delicate assembly to do:

Once they had dried sufficiently, I installed them on the plane:

I then moved ahead, adding the windscreen and flaps to the wings and tail. I also finished masking the rest of the windows. You can see where I also re-filled the wing joints with more putty:

The putty was sanded smooth again, the engine was painted and I added some more struts to the floats that I’d forgotten to install earlier:

Out came the Silly Putty which went over the engine, and then I pressed the cowl over the Silly Putty so I could shoot paint on this:

And then I shot the first white coat on it to see what additional imperfections I missed:

Looked good, but there were a few imperfections that needed sanding out, as well as some dust and debris that stuck to it, so I started to re-sand it for the next coat. Of course, I naturally was doing too well so my hands stopped working and dropped the plane making it break into pieces. Here it is after I started to repair it; I placed the floats on some Silly Putty to hold them in place, re-glued the struts and am waiting for them to dry before attempting to re-attach the floats:

Enough of that! I moved on to something I felt I could do better on. Out came the Fokker F-27 Friendship again. I started by painting the interior:

Fuselage went together next, I clamped it to remove a step in the forward fuselage:

Wings and tail next went on:

And finally I added the engines and most of the landing gear. You notice I opened one of the small cargo doors on the side. That is because I didn’t have enough weight in the nose:

I also finished masking all the windows on the sides of this plane after adding the windscreen:

I then added the additional weight to keep this on its feet. They fit nicely in the cargo nets! Later I’ll close this up:

This one then got its first coat of white paint:

After this, I had noticed an MPM multimedia kit of the Me-262 Swallow; this one sports a rather large gun in the nose. I had gotten it for two bucks at a show from a guy who had started it already. I didn’t think It would be an issue, so I pulled it out and started it too. I built the rather basic cockpit and then closed it up inside the fuselage. I then added the photo-etch plate to the top of the cockpit opening. The joint looked good:

The landing gear bay had photo etch to frame it, so I added that:

When I went to test fit the wing section to see how the photo etch looked and fit, I found out why this guy stopped and sold the kit:

The instructions said I needed to cut sections off that center section so I did, not realizing that the measurements they gave were off:

While I took time to figure out how to fix that, I went ahead and assembled the upper wings and engine pods:

Later I glued the whole wing assembly together and here it is dry-fit to the fuselage assembly. I also need to find the tail feathers for this too as they are lost:

Those were quite the fight so far so I pulled out something completely different and supposedly much easier. This is the new Airfix Higgins Boat in 1/72 scale. I started with the crew station in the back:

I did clean up that mess later after I took the pic. And to show you how easy this was, I got this far before I realized I had forgotten to take pics:

Just for fun, I noticed this little trailer in my Centurion Mk.5 LR kit that goes behind a British Centurion used in the Suez Crisis. Even though I wasn’t going to use it, I went ahead and assembled it:

That is a nice little transition into my Motor Pool division of Maddog Manufacturing where I have a number of projects going, including at least one that I started. I’ll begin with that one.

This is my M-1240 M-ATV that I got at the Nationals as well and I’ve been eager to get started on it. I should have waited. Here is the chassis; it was more delicate and difficult to build than I expected. There are several pieces left off that which were too much effort to add so they are not on here:

Next I built the interior of the main cabin:

Then I assembled the main cab and hood:

And finally, I assembled the rear cargo compartment:

After that I’d had enough of that! Out came the two Japanese APC’s which needed an interior painting. I painted the interior white and then the benches a dark, leather brown:

Not much will be seen once these get closed up:

Easy peasy! Next it was time to move forward on another project that had been languishing; my M-41 Walker Bulldog. All it really needed was the P/E and tracks. I started with the P/E, adding most of what was included:

Afterward I added the tracks. This one is ready for paint:

Another easy one (or at least fast) was my French APC. Since I got the tracks for it, I added the wheels in preparation for installing the tracks:

Next I went back to adding P/E to tanks. I started with my Australian Centurion Mk.5 LR, finishing off the photo-etch:

I did the same to the British Mk.5 tank since I was doing the same thing:

After that I added the final parts to these Centurions: the turret rings above the vision blocks. Here you can see it on the British Centurion:

These two Centurions are ready for paint now.

Next I started on another model that had been languishing: my Italian B1T Centauro. It needed the suspension on the bottom to start with:

Next I finished the turret as best I could. There are a number of brackets that are too short shot to use so I’ll need to fabricate them from styrene rods before I can add the outer armor. Here is the turret all assembled and sitting on the hull:

This is a better shot of the turret basket:

Now to wrap up this tour with the final model that I was able to start. Since the replacement parts came in for my Israeli Centurion Sho’t Kal Alef, I got started on it right away. First was the basic hull:

Followed by the turret as I wanted to make sure it would turn in the turret ring:

It turns well:

Later on I added the suspension before starting the wheels:

That is where I stopped.

Now this tour of Maddog Manufacturing is over. Feel free to browse the gift shop or check out the snack bar as you leave.

Thanks all for coming in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! You were one busy beaver! Lots of construction going on here Mark! I think of this batch of project kits, I like the tri motor the best. There is just something about those between the wars designs. Is it a Ford or another type?

On the way out, is there a full bar by the snack bar? :wink: All those projects have me in the mood for a drink to toast your work.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”