Kari's bench 2021 -->

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Kari's bench 2021 -->

Post by Floki »

mostrich wrote:
Stikpusher wrote: You want to start this kit immediately then buy another for the GB
What Obi Wan says!

The Bandai plastic is a bit softer than that of most other injection molded kits and due to it's snap tite nature it can react badly to enamel and lacquer thinners. A layer of primer prevents them to flow into the connection points via capillary action and cause the plastic to crack.

You can't have enough Star Wars kits lol

I've learned this the hardway when I was building my first bandai kit a AT-ST walker. Even though I primed, painted and put a clear gloss coat down the MIG enamel wash I used worked into some seames and cracked and weakened the plastic. I just weathered it as battle damage
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Carlos, Mike, Torben and Clint for the headsups and information regarding the kit and Bandai kits in general.

It ain't yet on the bench as I realized I need to do some research work regarding the subject, paint etc

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I just recently complained that I never find any kits in a thrift shop... and what happened today when me and my wife did a classic tour to a few of them, I saw this

Price 1 euro / 1 dollar.. There is a sticker on the box telling "not tested". With a price of one euro/dollar I was more than willing to take the risk and I bought it.

Not too convincing, but still... what's inside matters..

And voila, clearly someone has started to build the kit, as a number of pieces where loose, but a quick overall look indicates that nothing is missing..

Except... the tires ! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:headslap: :headslap: :headslap:

Oh well, with one euro it was a exciting moment to open the box and see what was inside...

The one who previously owned the kit started to build it, but gave probably up after fighting the pretty bad fit... Here the partial engine..

Not sure if I will save anything of it or will everything go to the waste bin. :bag:

Well, well, next time I see a kit in a thrift store, I just close my eyes and pass it.. :-D

- Kari
---
On the bench:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

See if RoG has them....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m surprised you didn’t check the contents first. Look in eBay. There’s bound to be replacement tires for the Harley kit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

LyleW wrote:See if RoG has them....
Good idea!
BlackSheep214 wrote:I’m surprised you didn’t check the contents first. Look in eBay. There’s bound to be replacement tires for the Harley kit.
Yeah, I should have.

- Kari
---
On the bench:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Time for a simple and doable project, inspired by a recent visit to a V-1 launch site in northern France + a visit to the big V-2 production & launch site "La Coupole" (that never luckily was finished).

So, during the visit to the V-1 launch site, I decided that I will build a V-1 rocket

and here the subject is.

Revells 1:32 scale V-1 rocket with a carriage (re-boxed Special Hobby kit from 2018)

A few pics of the sprues, looks ok, as they should taking in consideration the age

And a few pics of one of the several V-1:s in the museum of "La Coupole"

and finally a few pics of La Coupole, really impressive place! I will not go into the details, Wikipedia has good information for those of you who are interested to know more.

Even if the temperature outside was around 25 C (/ 77 F), inside the mountain, in the tunnels, the temperature must have dropped to 10 C ( / 55 F), was really cold!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s a great subject choice Kari. Looking at those photos, I can see why you were inspired on such a subject. The purpose of that installation aside, it sure looks like quite a feat of architecture and engineering.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Quite the interesting project. To see the engineering that went into these facillities under those circumstances is quite amazing. Hurry up!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

What a most impressive installation! Wow, that would be something to see.

Looking forward to seeing more. Maybe your work on this V-1 will help inspire me to finish the two I have with the launch ramps in 1/72 scale from Modelcollect. I'd started them some time ago and set them aside. Time to fix that....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Member's Gallery”