Airfix Mk.1a Spitfire 1/48

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Airfix Mk.1a Spitfire 1/48

Post by Duke Maddog »

Terrific work Mike! You did fantastic here. Don't worry about the silvered decals; I have also had them silver on me despite having a smooth gloss surface. Sometimes it is even the decals themselves; I tried to eliminate the 'silvering' on one set once only to find that the decals were printed in a matte finish. Once I shot a dull coat on top of them, the 'silvering' went away.

For those decals still silvering, take a brand new Exacto blade or very sharp pin and poke holes in the decals; preferably in the clear areas around the colored parts.Then apply a decals solvent to them. Micro Sol is one good one but for those really stubborn decals; Solvaset from Walthers is the 'nuclear option' that works very well.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Re: Airfix Mk.1a Spitfire 1/48

Post by scorpiomikey »

Thanks Duke. Ill try that.
Oddly it was just the wing ones. Those big letters down the side are one big decal with a massive sheet of clear. I was petrified they were going to silver. But a coat of microset and few runs of microsol did the trick to get them laid down nice.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Return to “Member's Gallery”