Airfix 1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
James H

Airfix 1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b

Post by James H »

Hi gang,

Sorry I've been pretty quiet recently, but Airfix asked me to build one of the Typhoon Über kits for display on their stand at Scale Model World, Telford. This kit is magnificent, but no 2 week project. I rushed this one to get it built in time, and it still took 7 weeks, which is is only a couple of weeks short of what it would take me to do two magazine projects.

Airfix have commissioned four modellers to build the four schemes available in the kit. Everything here is OOB (through necessity) except for Airscale cockpit decals and masks which were used for the tail chequer band. I found the kit decal colours to be muddy and wrong.

I still need to add fuses to the rockets and also more weathering to the wheels, but it's almost there. I'm not going to beat myself up over a rush build, and I know I could have improved many areas.

Hope you like it.

nathant
Advanced Member

Re: Airfix 1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b

Post by nathant »

This is one of the better builds I've seen of this kit. Very realistic painting and weathering. How did you add the light chipping?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

She is looking mighty good! Great work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

woah, so how big is that beastie?
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
James H

Post by James H »

This beastie is big!

All chipping is done with a silver Prismacolor pencil, kept fairly sharp for the most. Those pencils are fairly soft, but it does make it easy to add chips, and they are also very silver too..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I'm impressed, Mr. Hatch!
I think in THAT scale one can overthink some painting and weathering techniques. The marker option is one that can surely be used broader here than in smaller scales.

I like your build. And seven weeks for such a monster is fair enough!

:bye:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Fantastic build. I hope you let Airfix know about their muddy decal.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Nicely done. I saw that u thought the decals sucked. How does the actual model go together?
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow! If that is your not-as-good-as-I-like fast build, then I gotta quit! I can't even do that well on my small scale stuff that I take months to finish! I bow in the presence of greatness! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
James H

Post by James H »

Manny, kit goes together very well, but you constantly need to be checking a few stages ahead with stuff, especially around mounting the engine to the framework, and sitting the frame in the lower wing. That will all have an effect on how well the cowls fit. That latter bit is possibly the most contentious, but patience needs to be the order of the day.

Return to “Member's Gallery”