The Duke Finishes Two in July

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke Finishes Two in July

Post by Duke Maddog »

Today I finished two model rockets.

This first one is the Convair Atlas rocket in 1/72 scale from Horizon Models:
Image Image Image

This second one is the Mercury Redstone rocket in 1/72 scale with Friendship 7 riding atop it. This is also from Horizon Models:
Image Image Image

That is all I have for now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Duke Finishes Two in July

Post by LyleW »

Good looking builds! Well don.e.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Duke! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very nice!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those look really good Mark! I love them both! :shoutout: (but wasn’t Friendship 7 a Mercury-Atlas launch?)
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks for the awesome replies guys! I appreciate the compliments.

Carlos, Friendship 7 was on the Redstone. I think I recall reading that they had trouble adapting the Friendship 7 capsule to an Atlas. From what I was able to glean from my research; no Atlas was ever manned.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The Redstone rockets flew the Suborbital Mercury flights of Shepherd and Grissom. All of the orbital Mercury flights were flown off of the Atlas booster. The Redstone did not have enough “oomph” (for lack of a better term) to loft an object with the mass of a Mercury capsule into orbit.
Gemini used the Titan rocket.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well done, Mark!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks for the clarification Carlos. I always seem to get all those mixed up. Yeah, the Redstone does look a bit anemic. I do hope someday they make a 1/72 scale Titan with the Gemini capsule on it so I can add it to my Real Space collection. Come on Horizon Models!

Blacksheep, thanks!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That would be cool if Horizon makes a Titan/Gemini kit in 1/72. Why not? There have already been 1/72 Saturn V and Space Shuttle w/tank and Boosters kits. Over at Brookhurst I have seen some Russian 1/72 real space stuff. Do you have any of those in your stash?

FLSM

Return to “Completed Builds”