How I intend to use this forum

RexCag
Advanced Member

How I intend to use this forum

Post by RexCag »

First, thank you for this place to post some of the things that I am sure will help other modelers.

It will be mostly Navair info, but, I am not going to be able to stop myself from posting some "other brands" of Phantoms in here, too. And to be honest, other user's Phantoms had a lot to do with the development of Naval versions for the USN and USMC.

I do things a bit differently than many do,,,,,for example, I don't just type "F-4B" in a Phantom version list,,,,,,I acknowledge each different version of F-4B, and there are quite a few of those. The same goes for Skyhawks, there are far more divisions in the set than just saying "A-4C." The same goes for F-8s, and etc.

Most people assume that there was One paint scheme in place for US Naval aircraft during the Vietnam War,,,,I don't, I list and describe all Three of them. And I will explain why there were Three of them when I get to that part, for each time period. I don't use the term "IR sensor pod" for that lump on the bottom of Phantom nose radomes, because, only some of the first Phantoms had them,,,,and even then, if they weren't replaced by other gear, they were disabled and left in place. This means that the "IR sensor" was only on F-4Bs for a short time in their service life, and wasn't on some F-4Bs at all,,,,,,and was never on an F-4N. I will explain that when I get to that part, also. (why call something a term that was rarely even true for very long?)

Heck, I even sort the Phantom into different "splits" than most people, they are usually sorted by US Service,,,,,,I sort by the nose types, and wing thickness. That will illustrate the chronology of the versions better, eliminating the mistaken thought that the RF-4C followed the RF-4B.

Hmm, yeah, I tend to go "cow tipping" with people's Sacred Cows,,,,,,,,but, I will give photos and other references as places that people can "look it up for themselves", meaning you don't have to "just believe me", you can check.

So, I hope our conversations are both fun and helpful to you. I know that a lot of you on here today know a lot of this stuff, but, I hope that this proves helpful to new members that will join down the road, also.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: How I intend to use this forum

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I can't wait! :dancing: I agree, there are so many variations of F-4 Phantoms as well as Skyhawks and so on.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Who knows: maybe I will benefit of your research when doing my Zoukei-mura F-4 some day!
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Looking forward to this list! :popcorn: :writing:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Me too!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Me three
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike